We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apurimac rafting

usa
1 post
Save Topic
Apurimac rafting

I am going to Lima/Cuzco in June to do the Inca trail and some rafting on the Apurimac. Alarmingly, I read some reports about the Sendero Luminoso resurgence and am concerned - sp considering the rafting.

I know the general background and history of the SL, and I have been to Cuzco before, but I do not know the current situation or if the Apurimac rafting is safe. Does anybody know any specifics about this?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,592 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apurimac rafting

Do not worry, there is NO resurgence of SL in Peru.

A couple of months ago the police captured one of the remanent head jonchos.

An insurgence in Andahuaylas from the Etnocaceristas ( Humala) was sofocated and the guy is in jail.

Go ahead with yr planned trip.

New York City
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apurimac rafting

Rafting on the Apurimac is very dangerous due to the strong rapids, as i'm sure you are well aware. On my trip there in September, I met a group that went rafting and a member of their tour actually died. The guy fell off the raft while the currents were strong and by the time anyone realized he was under the raft, it was too late to save him. Although the tour company ( i dont recall the name), says that the tour guides have communications with the agency while on the trip, they didn't.