We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sacred Valley in one day...?

Toronto
6 posts
Save Topic
Sacred Valley in one day...?

Several friends and I will be in Cuzco for 3 days prior to doing the Salkantay Trek. Is it better to join a one day tour of the Sacred Valley, or just get a cab and see the sights on our own over a period of 2 days? Is one day enough time to take in Pisac market/ruins, Ollantaytambo, Chinchero, etc? We will be arriving in Cuzco on a Sunday---mid-morning unfortunately, so, we won't be able to do the more preferred full day tour of the busier Sunday Pisac market. So, we've decided to do it on Tuesday instead but that still leaves Monday open to split the Sacred Valley into 2 days. Suggestions?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,592 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sacred Valley in one day...?

Hire a cab for the day and cover as much as possible.

I would rather start with Ollantaytambo, Maras,Moray and then Pisac.

Or you can hire a car with driver and a private guide. Contact Rodrigo at info@urubamba.com

Toronto
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sacred Valley in one day...?

xochitl,

Thanks for the suggestions. From some of the other posts, I see that Rodrigo is located in Kuychi Rumi---our base will be Cuzco. How do we arrange to get a driver? Would someone come all the way from Urubamba to pick us up or, do we take a bus/taxi to Kuychi Rumi first? Also, from your reply, I guess you feel that one FULL day is definitely not adequate to cover the primary sites in the SV. I hear that some of the day tours only give 30-45 min. at the Pisac Citadel---not enough time to take it all in? Apparently, some tour companies don't even give the option of going to the Citadel while they are visiting the market place. From what I've researched, it would be a shame to miss these ruins...no?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,592 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sacred Valley in one day...?

Yes, it would be a pity to miss the Citadel in Pisac.

Rodrigo can arrange for the taxi and guide to pick you up from Cusco, no problema.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,238 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sacred Valley in one day...?

I would definitely split the valley into two days.. we spent about 3 1/2 hours at Ollantaytambo and then another day we spent 2 1/2 hours at Pisac.. the fortress only ..didn't even go to the market there and felt we didn't see as much of Pisac fortress as we would have liked. Also don't forget you will be moving at a slower pace due to the altitude..regardless of your fitness level the altitude just makes doing stairs etc take longer. Both spots are incredible and very different from what you will see at Machu Picchu.. we stayed at the KR and used guides/drivers they arranged.. they were excellent.

Toronto
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sacred Valley in one day...?

xochitl and traveller47,

Thanks for the info and advice. Leaving on Saturday morning(in 2 days). Hiking Salkantay to Machu Picchu for 7 days with Q'ente guide service. Huayna Picchu to follow---that will be the icing on the cake. Getting excited is an understatement right now...Not sure if the rest of the group wants to do the S.V. for 2 days but I'm sure we'll have a lot of time to discuss it while on the plane. Just hoping the weather co-operates during those 7 days. Will post a write-up of the trip, detailing hostel/hotel accommodations, restaurants, etc. afterwards. Thanks again guys, you've been a great help on these Peru forums!

6. Re: Sacred Valley in one day...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, August 31, 2009