We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Once and for all....

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Topic
Once and for all....

is it Cusco or Cuzco????? Aaargh.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,250 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Once and for all....

Reina when we were in Peru there was a fellow staying at the KR who had had heart surgery just 1 month prior! the trick was he came from Denver so was used to altitude. I have known people with severe heart problems who have been to MP. The trick is to go to the SV (altitude about 8000') for a few days and just take it slow..then go to MP which actually lower than the SV. It really is not to be missed.

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Once and for all....

Livinglife - Isn't it interesting that both Google and the local expert basically gave you the same answer? Just from researching this trip I have seen the different spellings used by different Peruvian websites and books, so I figured it doesn't matter. In general - cool it. I totally agree that many Americans are not as globally aware as people living in other countries, but I believe that most of the Americans who visit Peru forums do not belong to that category.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Once and for all....

Travel10000 - what made you think my remarks were about Americans posting on the Peru forum? If you thought I was directing them at you, please know I was definitely not.

As for 'cooling it' - I'm puzzled. I'm not upset and I'm not trying to upset anyone else.

By the way, I finally got that book from the library - it looks fascinating and I can't wait to read it! Thanks for the recommendation.

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Once and for all....

I understand. I am just saying that the only people that will read your remarks are those reading this forum. You know that saying - you are "preaching to the quire"...

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Once and for all....

Thanks for the comments about MP. I suppose I'm not that determined to go there. If my husband shared my enthusiasm we might go. I am prone to sickness and surely I'd get the altitude sickness I've read about. I did go to a ski resort in the Andes in Chile and I was quicky out of breath. I saw the documentary, "Digging for the truth: Machu Picchu" aboyut which I posted a thread.\ Just looking over the edge of the Inca Trail or at the terraces of Machu Picchu on TV made me dizzy. It really woudln't be a good idea for me to be there.

http://tinyurl.com/33vejz

This thread is an interesting read about the correct spelling of Cusco, Cuzco or Qosco. Such subjects fascinate me. It certainly beats the "What will the weather be like?" questions. So, thanks guys.

BYW, Chile is always Chile and never Chili.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Once and for all....

Lol, Reina!

Thanks for that link to your thread. I didn't see that show -dang - but I've watched some old videos I borrowed from our library and also rented from Netflix. One of them was all about Thor Heyerdahl's voyage on the Kon Tiki - it's footage taken by him and his fellow voyagers( black and white film). Very fascinating - he studied the reed boats of Lago Titicaca to make his raft. How lucky we all are to have men and women who dare to go that extra mile, take that plunge - I always marvel at the human spirit and man's thirst for knowledge.

Okay, this will now wander into off-topic soon if I don't stop! I hope to go to Chile one day.

Travel10000 - I've heard of preaching to the choir. Have a great trip in August!

17. Re: Once and for all....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 am, August 28, 2009