We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colca 2d/1n tour from Arequipa

Which Arequipa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Colca 2d/1n tour from Arequipa

I've got a couple of quotes for this tour and both Condor Travel and Pablo Tours are quoting close to $300 US per person. I've also read that if we book when already in Arequipa, it could be a lot cheaper. Are we talking "apples to apples" cheaper here? Has anyone booked on a walk in basis with these same agencies and got a better rate than quoted in advance? Thanks.

London
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colca 2d/1n tour from Arequipa

We spent a couple of weeks in Arequipa last sept/oct. We didn't make the trek because of the earthquake activity which closed off the canyon for a while but we did visit a number of the more highly regarded operators ( sorry I did not make a note of there names) and they were offering tours at a lot less than $300 when the canyon reopened. More like $150. There were a LOT of places offering yours and I am guessing there would be a lot of consolidating going on and quality was definitely variable. Don't forget the 70 soles $25 entrance fee for the canyon.

2. Re: Colca 2d/1n tour from Arequipa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:58 pm, January 29, 2014
3. Re: Colca 2d/1n tour from Arequipa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:58 pm, January 29, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,244 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colca 2d/1n tour from Arequipa

We booked ahead and paid $125 each plus the entrance fee to the canyon. Used Kilawasi Lodge in Yanque.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colca 2d/1n tour from Arequipa

I assume you are talking about busing to the rim of the Canyon, spending one night, seeing the condors, and busing back to Arequipa. Not trekking into the Canyon at the far end. Most of the agencies sell you a seat on a pool bus, and you have a choice of hotels. They are clustered on Jerusalen.

You might also look into Giardino Tours.

When I went, they had their own bus, not the mass market Colonial Tours bus. Walk in bookings would be at their hotel in Arequipa, Casa de Mi Abuela, Jerusalen 604, north of the mass of tourist agencies.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,313 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colca 2d/1n tour from Arequipa

Killawasi Lodge doesn't have their own bus for tours; they hire a third party. FYI. I booked my Colca tour with them and I couldn't sit next to my group. It was a mess.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colca 2d/1n tour from Arequipa

Thanks for all the responses. (Btw, red flag all over Juan Carlos's posts trying to promote Karikuy. All of this members' 7 posts so far plus a p.m. are about Karikuy.)

Both Condor Travel and Pablo Tours have private vehicle for their clients. I really like what Pablo Tour says in their Special Colca 2 day/1 night tour. I don't mind paying more for better service, but I would hate to be in the same van with those who book by walking into their office in Arequipa and pay a lot less.

Thanks mlgb. I'll look into Giardino, and hopefully I can compare some prices with you. Btw, I'm heading to Palm Springs for the first time next month, so maybe running into you, the local expert over at the Palm Desert forum :-)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,244 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Colca 2d/1n tour from Arequipa

Our Kiliwasi tour was fantastic. They, like a lot of the agencies, pool the tour to the Condors. Our bus was just a small minivan and we had no issues sitting next to each other. Could not have gone better. Sorry the other poster had a bad time with them.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Colca 2d/1n tour from Arequipa

At the time I went with Giardino they had their own minivan all the way from Arequipa. They made a number of stops along the route to Chivay. The first night I stayed at Mama Yacchi (Giardino's hotel in Corporaque), & we did the afternoon hike to San Antonio ruins above town (pleasant, not difficult). They also provided transport to the hot springs in town for those who wanted. The next day we got up at around 5 am!!! to have breakfast at the hotel, took their minivan across the valley through Chivay and along the canyon rim. The guide asked if we wanted to hike the last bit along the canyon edge, and just after 9 am the condors showed up.

November is not normally a good time to see the condors since many are on the nest. Our guide made some phone calls to find out what the likely time was. Many of the people on the pool tours either left too early or arrived too late. After the condors show, we made some stops at the churches in Maca and Yanque, and then back to Chivay for lunch. I decided to spend a second night in and took a taxi to Killawasi Lodge in Yanque (nice hotel) and walked to Uyu Uyu on the 3 pm hike (difficult if you aren't acclimated and fit!). The next day I took a taxi from Yanque back to Chivay and caught the 4-M Express to Puno.

Since I was there in low season there were only two of us on the minivan, it was really like a private tour. Not likely that you will be so lucky!

Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Colca 2d/1n tour from Arequipa

Do you know if you can join the Giardino Tours from Chivay?

We will be coming across from Puno.