We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Final tweaks to itinerary!! Any tips greatly appreciated.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Final tweaks to itinerary!! Any tips greatly appreciated.

So we are tightening up our itinerary for our honeymoon which is currently looking like:

23rd October PM Arrive Lima

24th:Lima, overnight Lima

25th: Am fly to Arequipa - overnight. (any recommendations?)

26th: Arequipa to Chivay - overnight (any recommendations?)

27th: Colca Canyon AM PM bus to Puno

28th: Lake Titicaca - PM overnight to Cusco. (how long is this journey? - Google maps says 5hrs - some bus web sites say 12 and the flights are prohibitively expensive and seem to stop and take forever!!)

29th - 30th Sacred Valley (Urubamba/Ollantaytambo - any suggestions)

31st October - 2nd November: Cusco - looking for 3-4*/B&B suggestions

3rd & 4th November - 2 day inca trail trek to Machu Picchu (booked with Llama Path)

4th November - overnight Monestario for a deluxe blow out.

5th November: Lunchtime flight Cusco - Lima, 9PM return flight to UK..

Appreciate any pointers, tips or thoughts!!

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Arequipa
Arequipa
Arequipa Region, Peru
Colca Canyon
Colca Canyon
4,947 Reviews
Arequipa Region, Peru
Puno
Puno
Puno Region, Peru
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Sacred Valley
Sacred Valley
Cusco Region, Peru
Urubamba
Urubamba
Sacred Valley, Peru
Ollantaytambo
Ollantaytambo
Sacred Valley, Peru
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Llama Path
Llama Path
1,665 Reviews
Cusco, Peru
Boston...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Final tweaks to itinerary!! Any tips greatly appreciated.

That is a very tight schedule! I've stayed at Casa de Avila (26 st martin, valecito, arequipa) many times and I've quite enjoyed it (especially if you want some peace and quiet). It is a little bit pricier (around 70ish soles) than some hotels/B&Bs in Arequipa, but its a nice environment, plus the staff is very helpful!

In terms of eating out in Arequipa, I would suggest ZigZag or Italiano (they serve really good Peruvian cuisine there despite the name). Again, you will tend to spend more in those restaurants.

In Cusco, if you don't mind a loud and rowdy environment, you should go for a private room in Wild Rover (they have a good Irish Bar, although it gets pretty loud). My friend who passed by in Cusco also recommends Eco Tour, which is closer to the city center than Wild Rover.

Which bus company are you taking? Some can be pretty sketchy. The best one in Peru (most expensive and luxurious) is Cruz Del Sur, with prices ranging from 70 to 120 soles a trip.

I can't really help out with your other questions as I've never stayed overnight in those places, only passed by.

Mentioned in this post
Arequipa
Arequipa
Arequipa Region, Peru
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Peru
Peru
South America
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Final tweaks to itinerary!! Any tips greatly appreciated.

In Arequipa with just a short time I would want to be near the Plaza and Santa Catalina. I stayed at Casa Melgar, there are some higher end hotels near Santa Catalina.

If you go with Giardino you stay at Mama Yacchi,

I also liked Killawasi Lodge in Yanque.

Mentioned in this post
Arequipa
Arequipa
Arequipa Region, Peru
3. Re: Final tweaks to itinerary!! Any tips greatly appreciated.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 19, 2013