We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arequipa to Puno with A Colca Tours

Which Arequipa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
1 post
Save Topic
Arequipa to Puno with A Colca Tours

Hello!

We are a couple with limited time in Peru (12 days in early October). We'd like to take a tour of the Colca Canyon area that ends in Puno. Ideally this would be a 2 day/1 night tour. I have seen several references to such tours online, but have found few operators online with this itinerary. One such operator is Colca Tours ( colcatours.com/english/ColcabustourPuno_en.h… ). I have been in contact with the company and the price for our selected option (includes hotel in Chivay) will be $ 117 USD per person. As part of confirmation they would like a 25% deposit via Western Union. I feel uncomfortable using money transfer services like this, but recognize that it's not uncommon.

I'd like to know from those of you with experience or knowledge if a) Colca Tours is a reputable company? b) there are other operators you would recommend that have a Arequipa --> Puno itinerary? c) it would be much cheaper to wait and book a tour the day before we left in Arequipa? My boyfriend is uncomfortable with the thought of not booking this ahead of time, but I have ready many times over that there are several tours departing daily.

Any thoughts or advice you can give is greatly appreciated!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arequipa to Puno with A Colca Tours

I think Western Union is pretty standard for the companies in Arequipa. We did a tour with Andres Calcina who has Peruvian Colca Trails and he was very flexible and supportive. He will tailor trips to suit your requirements. Website is http://peruviancolcatrails.com. He also has good English - he uses Western Union too.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arequipa to Puno with A Colca Tours

The tour operator out of Killawasi Lodge in Yanque offers an option to use Paypal. Further they charge a 20% deposit.

It's a nice hotel (see the reviews)

www.killawasilodge.com/eng/detaTours.php…

I recommend getting on a semiprivate tour with the company's own van rather than a pool tour, if you can.

Giardino is good although you do have to get up an hour earlier since they lodge you in Corporaque on the other side of the Canyon.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arequipa to Puno with A Colca Tours

Just got back from Peru and used Land Adventure for our 3 day/1 night Colca canyon trek - they also offer 2 day/1 n. tour - just like you want to do we started in Arequipa and finished in Puno - this agency is more expensive than others, but very flexible and highly recommended on this website. We got picked-up from Arequipa at 7am (instead of 3am) took all of our luggage (a big suitcase) + our trek packs with us - on arrival in Cabanaconde we just left the suitcase at the hostal, went for our 3 day walk - and on our last day re-collected our luggage drove to Chivay (saw the condors and also went to the hot pools on the way as per our itinerary) and after the buffet lunch got dropped at the 4M tourist bus station for our trip to Puno - which we had also booked with LA for US$ 40.00 p.person - this is a good bus company - the journey took about 7 hours, but we got commentaries all along the way, few stops and also snack and drink. We also got asked to make a wire transfer prior to our arrival in Arequipa but felft very safe in doing so as it is a very reputable agency and all emails were being dealt very promptly.

Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arequipa to Puno with A Colca Tours

We recently did the tour you mention, only we stayed 2 nights in the Colca area (Casa de Mamayacchi) and then continued to Puno. We booked everything (tour, hotel, transport to Puno) through 4M. They were very prompt in responding to emails and we were very happy with the service. They allowed us to come and pay in person, at their office in Arequipa, two days before departure. I don't know where you are staying, but other posters who stayed at the Casa de Avila in Arequipa booked the Colca tour through them which would be another option.

Deutschland
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arequipa to Puno with A Colca Tours

Hi,

Wie have Booked the Same Tour, Starting next week and have Sent the deposit Payment by Western . Did you Book the Tour with colca Tours ?

Wie Hope that eberything will work, because I cañons find any Reviews about colca tours

Deutschland
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arequipa to Puno with A Colca Tours

Hi,

Wie have Booked the Same Tour, Starting next week and have Sent the deposit Payment by Western . Did you Book the Tour with colca Tours ?

Wie Hope that eberything will work, because I cañons find any Reviews about colca tours

Chivay, Peru
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arequipa to Puno with A Colca Tours

I am currently taking a Bustour Colca Canyon 2 days, starting in Puno and ending in Arequipa (ACT-E03b) with a Colca Tours. Yesterday, I was waiting for over than 3 hours at Chivay for someone to take me to the hotel, when I finally able to contact the travel agent (Anamelba) from a Cocla Tours, I got the run a round answers from her, first she blamed the hotel than later she said it was the guide's fault, very unprofessional! Today I am continuing my trip to a Colca Caynon and Arequipa with a Colca Tour, I just hope no more surprises are waiting for me on the way.

Chivay, Peru
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arequipa to Puno with A Colca Tours

I am currently taking Bustour Colca Canyon 2 days, starting in Puno and ending in Arequipa (TOURCODE: ACT-E03b) with a Colca Tour. Yesterday, when I arrived at Chivay, someone forgot to pick me up from the plaza to take me to the hotel. 3 hrs later and after numerous attempt to contact, Anamelba, the travel agent of a Colca Tours, she finally answered the phone and gave me a run a around answers by blaming the hotel and the guide about the mixups (later I learned that either the hotel nor the guide ever knew about me), very unprofessional. Today, I am continuing my trip to Colca Caynon then Arequipa, I am keeping my fingers cross that no more unpleasant surprises are waiting for me on the way.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
1 post
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arequipa to Puno with A Colca Tours

Just a more recent update from October 2013. We also did the tour of the Colca Canyon with A Colca Tours from Arequipa - Colca Canyon - Puno.

We enjoyed the tour very much. Our guide was nice and spoke good english. The group was 23 people in a small bus. The driver was safe and the tour was fun. We wanted to spend the afternoon and evening in Chivay on our own and this was no problem. Also the transfer to Puno the next day was very well arranged and again, nice guide and safe driver.

We had a good experience. On the payment issue we agreed to step by their office in Arequipa the day before the tour to pay.

10. Re: Arequipa to Puno with A Colca Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 27, 2014