We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations for Peru

New Jersey
11 posts
Save Topic
Vaccinations for Peru

Hi-

My husband and I are planning on visiting Peru this summer. We were planning on getting the Hep A and Hep B vaccine but were unsure of the yellow fever vaccine. We are going to Lima, Arequipa, Colca Canyon, Cusco, Manchu Picchu, Puno, and Lake Titicaca. I know that the CDC says you do not need the yellow fever vaccine for Cusco, Manchu Picchu, and Lima but do you need it to visit the other places? I am finding conflicting data on the internet

Lima
Level Contributor
523 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccinations for Peru

YF shots not required to visit Arequipa, Colca or Puno. No risk to get the disease in those areas. Make sure you don't need to prove you have had the YF shots when re-entering your country or the country you might be visiting immediately after Peru because it happens sometimes that health policies in some countries require incoming from Peru to have the YF certificate no matter if they have been visiting risk areas or not.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccinations for Peru

If you are just going between those areas of Peru & the US, you don't need the yellow fever vaccine. No requirement for re-entry to the US.

YF vaccine is "recommended" if you are visiting the jungle areas of Peru, like Iquitos or Maldonado, but not where you are going.

But also recommended for visits to Peru is Typhoid vaccine, and make sure you are current on all others, like Polio & Tetanus.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccinations for Peru

As previous posters said, if your plan is to visit those places, then you do not need YF vaccination.

New Jersey
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaccinations for Peru

Thank you so much for the information.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaccinations for Peru

mdtravelhealth.com/destinations/…peru.html

correct CDC info needed medically only if going to the jungle.

Required however for border crossings by customs

easpecially Bolivia.

But if you stay in Peru and out of the jungle you do not need it.

6. Re: Vaccinations for Peru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 26, 2011