We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arequipa/Colca or Titicaca

Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Arequipa/Colca or Titicaca

I have a tentative itinerary that looks too packed to me, and I think we should forego either Arequipa/Colca, or the 2D/IN stay at Titicaca. For those of you who have been to both, which is your best memory? The rest of the trip we will spend on Lares Trek and SV and Cusco, and 2 nights Maldonado/jungle. We are family of 4, kids 10 and 12.

It's only a 14 day trip and although the present itinerary fits it all in, I am not comfortable leaving Maldonado on the day of our international flight. And we don't get the overnight at Lake T. if we try to do it all. Also, can we go straight to Titicaca, or is that just a recipe for altitude sickness?

Thinking of going with Yure Chaves/Peru Treks 4 Good, but kind of planning on my own as well. Thanks for any input!

Chiclayo, Peru
Level Contributor
805 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Arequipa/Colca or Titicaca

If I had to pick one I would probably go with Arequipa. If you go to Puno go from Colca or Cusco, not Lima, or you will likely get altitude sickness.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arequipa/Colca or Titicaca

…worldnomads.com/destination/…23.aspx

If you plan you can do both they are very close...

regarding altitude illness as long as you adjust gradually

for a day or 2 in Arequipa 7500 ft

maybe take Diamox you should be fine in Titicaca

www.4m-express.com good bus between Colca/Chivay and Puno

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
793 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arequipa/Colca or Titicaca

We had 3 weeks so were able to do Colca, Arequipa and Puno. My kids were 9 and 11 and loved it. Altitude is an issue so starting in Arequipa/Colca is best. Also the real fun in Titicaca is an overnight with a family on an island. A fabulous experience, but not sure you have time for that. Colca and the drive there is great especially if the kids want to see animals. The Vicuna on the way and the Condors there were a big hig with my kids. We did this idependently with a hired dirver from 4-M and were very happy. We found accomodations that were perfect for our family with sleeping lofts for the kids. In Arequipa La Casa De Mi Abuela and in Colca, Tradicion Colca in Yanque. Enjoy!

Edited: 1:27 pm, April 10, 2010
Long Island NY
Level Contributor
793 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arequipa/Colca or Titicaca

Me again. I just asked the kids and both without hesitation said Arequipa/Colca. They reminded me how cold were were the night we stayed on the lake. The said don't miss the hot springs in Colca. Or in Arequipa Monasterio de Santa Catalina and Juanita at Museo Santuarios Andinos. I should also add that we hired a driver because we were going from Arequipa to Colca to Puno and were worried about my daughter getting sick on the bus. The roads are good so especially if you are going back to Arequipa renting a car would be an option for you.

Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Arequipa/Colca or Titicaca

Thanks, NY,

Will check out these hotels and guide. Any specifics that you loved in Colca, or that the kids loved in Sacred Valley or Cusco. Did you bus back to Cusco after Puno/Lake T?

Did you trek with the kids? Thanks so much!

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
793 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arequipa/Colca or Titicaca

We did not trek with the kids. We hike at home, but felt that was more than the young one or I could handle. The altitude got to all of us, not true altitude sickness, but we found it was just a lot harder to walk for long distances.

In Colca, the springs and condors will probably be all you have time for, both were big hits with the kids. Plan a few hours for the condors. We thought we were done after seeing a few in the first hour and nearly left. Then they started coming by 4 and 5 at a time every few minutes. In Colca we also walked around a few of the smaller towns as well and hiked over the bridge near Yanque.

Cusco favorites: Qoricancha, the public market and just wondering around. We did not get to the other sites in the valley other than MP. Skip the springs in Aqua Calantes, they were disgusting. If we go back I will try to spend time in Ollantaytambo. We walked through briefly after getting of the train and I wished I had included time there in our original plan.

We flew from Puno to Cusco. We were there last summer when there were frequent road closures due to demonstrations.

Edited: 1:50 pm, April 11, 2010
Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Arequipa/Colca or Titicaca

Thanks for the tips! Will see if we can stay in Olly...

8. Re: Arequipa/Colca or Titicaca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 09, 2010