We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How To Negotiate, When You Don't Know How To Negotiate

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How To Negotiate, When You Don't Know How To Negotiate

Simple. Know the price a local would pay, then insist on it.

Example: I needed to buy some Baby Alpaca scarves for a friend. After visiting several shops, the lowest price was S/.60 per scarf ($20), but they didn't have the colors I wanted.

Another shop did, but they wanted S/.80. So, I took the scarves I wanted up to the register, pulled out S/.60 per scarf, and made it clear that was all I would pay. They quickly agreed, and we both walked away happy.

They even closed up the shop and walked me several blocks to the central market to buy a cardboard shipping box for $0.25 so I could send the scarves to my friend in the U.S.

Now, I take the time to learn what a local would pay for every product or service, offer only that amount, and assume it is acceptable. I rarely get disappointed.

Enjoy!

1. Re: How To Negotiate, When You Don't Know How To Negotiate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, June 27, 2010
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,394 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How To Negotiate, When You Don't Know How To Negotiate

And you think its a great idea to take advantage of the disgrace these people are going through ?

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How To Negotiate, When You Don't Know How To Negotiate

Negotiation is expected and appreciated

by Peruanos

if done with respect.

Your formula however far too simplistic

and does not take in quality differences.

Perhaps a bit more travel experience

prior to multiple same day posts

might be wise. ..

memphis, tn
Level Contributor
86 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How To Negotiate, When You Don't Know How To Negotiate

We're headed there in a couple of months. I'm planning on getting some alpaca sweaters and scarves for family so looking for decent quality stuff. Can you give some general ideas of what a good quality sweater or scarf might cost? Thanks.

5. Re: How To Negotiate, When You Don't Know How To Negotiate

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, June 27, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How To Negotiate, When You Don't Know How To Negotiate

I don't know about the price of sweaters, as I was only buying scarves. The baby alpaca scarves were S/60 each and the adult alpaca are S/15 each when paying cash. A good brand name for baby alpaca is "Tumi" and it has a label stating that it is 100% baby alpaca.

I bought mine in the Los Claustros de la Compania shopping plazas (1/2 block from the Plaza de Armas). The lowest prices were in the stores in the 2nd plaza within the Claustros.

Hope this helps.

Chiclayo, Peru
Level Contributor
805 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How To Negotiate, When You Don't Know How To Negotiate

Note that 'baby alpaca' is not the opposite of 'adult alpaca' -- baby alpaca means the fur comes from the neck, where it's softest. There are various tricks you can use to tell if something is really alpaca, but unfortunately most involve setting the object in question on fire and seeing how it burns, which kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion. The fancier designer stores are mostly trustworthy, whereas anything you get at a deep discount from a souvenir stall is likely to be made with acrylic fiber.

8. Re: How To Negotiate, When You Don't Know How To Negotiate

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 18, 2010