We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tacna to Arequipa to Cusco by bus

Which Arequipa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Tacna to Arequipa to Cusco by bus

Hi

We are currently trying to book a trek in Cusco and we have been given the date of 18th January 2010 for the trek which is a day earlier than we had planned for.

So now we are trying to get from Tacna on 14th Jan to Cusco by bus to arrive in Cusco on 15th, so we have 3 days to acclimatise to the altitude.

It looks like there is no direct bus from Tacna to Cusco & instead we have to get a bus from Tacna to Arequipa and a connecting bus on to Cusco. (We have planned to spend a few days in Arequipa but after the trek)

My questions are:

1)There is a bus (Cruz del sol) leaving at 1pm on 14th Jan from Arequipa. I understand that the journey can take 5-7 hrs. Is 7 hrs the maximium length of time it would take for the bus to get to Arequpia?

2) The connecting bus to Cusco leaves at 8.30pm on 14th, (same day) do you think we would make that bus?

I hope my questions are too confusing!

thanks for your help

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,170 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tacna to Arequipa to Cusco by bus

1.- The time is aprox as it depends a lot on the rain and road condition.

Now its the rainy season.

2.- Its very tight.

I guess you mean not to confusing ?

Anyway, on your way to Cusco you will be acclimatizing anyway so if you get there 1 day late it will not make to much difference.

punta del este...
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tacna to Arequipa to Cusco by bus

Ivenus:

As xochitl pointed out, it may be tight: the 1PM bus Tacna-Arequipa is due to arrive 6:30PM but that still gives you a 2-hour window in Arequipa before catching the 8:30PM bus to Cuzco. Both these buses are "Imperial" service (not the best but still non-stop so no time weasted enroute loading/ offloading passengers) and the Tacna-Arequipa road is a good one. Delays due to weather are more likely on the second leg to Cuzco. Make sure you buy both tickets in Tacna so as not to waste time in the booking hall in Arequipa if you're running late.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tacna to Arequipa to Cusco by bus

Have done that route connection usually TOO tight

far better to adjust in Arequipa 7500 ft not Cusco 11000 ft

spend s day there on your way.

Take Diamox to prevent altitude illness.

the whoe idea is not to go from sea level to 11000ft SLOWLY

www.cruzzdelsur.com.pe night bus was a long drudge for me

Do the VIP seats for best experience of better just fly.

Have fun,

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tacna to Arequipa to Cusco by bus

Altitude sickness may develop in travelers who ascend rapidly to altitudes greater than 2500 m, including those in previously excellent health. Being physically fit in no way lessens the risk of altitude sickness. Those who have developed altitude sickness in the past are prone to future episodes. The risk increases with faster ascents and higher altitudes. Symptoms of acute mountain sickness, the most common form of the disorder, may include headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, malaise, insomnia, and loss of appetite. Severe cases may be complicated by breathlessness and chest tightness, which are signs of pulmonary edema (fluid in the lungs), or by confusion, lethargy, and unsteady gait, which indicate cerebral edema (brain swelling).

Altitude sickness may be prevented by taking acetazolamide 125 or 250 mg twice daily starting 24 hours before ascent and continuing for 48 hours after arrival at altitude.

Dublin
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tacna to Arequipa to Cusco by bus

thank you for your responses.

We have decided to change the date of the trek till a day later so we have more time to get to Cusco.

thanks again

6. Re: Tacna to Arequipa to Cusco by bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, June 15, 2010