We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Titicaca: Juliaca or Puno?

Which Arequipa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Titicaca: Juliaca or Puno?

We have about 4 days around the lake as well: which of the 2 towns (if any) is the better base for tours on the Lake, restaurants, sightseeing etc? Also any good places to stay that you know of? Thanks!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Titicaca: Juliaca or Puno?

By far Puno city. You will find better hotel (Libertador) and many more restaurants and tours.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
185 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Titicaca: Juliaca or Puno?

If you are looking for something a bit different and want to stay right on the lake without spending a small fortune. Look up the Hotel Taypikala in Puno. It is actually in a small town very near Puno City called Chucuito. ALso, look up that town as it has it's own interest. Juliaca is not an advisable place to stay. If you are flying in to Juliaca you can catch a taxi to Taypikala or they will make those arrangements for you. Better on your own if you are trying to be economical. If you can speak Spanish you can bargain with taxis in soles - Peruvian money. Same if you are soming by train or bus.

Boston...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Titicaca: Juliaca or Puno?

I stayed at the Libertador in Puno and it was well worth the money. There is much to do within the city and I have family there so they took me and my girlfriend on a tour outside the city most people don't ever get to see. We drove at least 80km outside the city to secluded spots with phenominal views of the lake. Puno is my preference by far.