We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colca Canyon Tour Question

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Colca Canyon Tour Question

Hello,

My husband and I are planning a 2 night 3 day stay in the Canyon. I reserved a room at the Colca-Lodge as it's gotten great reviews.

My question is about a guide. Do you think we need a guide the entire time we are there? Our hotel in Arequipa quoted us $350 for transportation and a guide for 3 days. (this does not include the cost of the hotel). Does this price sound correct - it seems fairly expensive? Also - do you think we should just have the guide for just one day and then explore the area ourselves the next day? I'm not sure how the canyon works and if it's necessary to have a guide the whole time. Your advice and insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Kristin

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colca Canyon Tour Question

We reserved rooms at the Colca Lodge as well. Then we went through Servitours in Arequipa to book transportation and a guide for 2 nights 3 days. The cost is $240. It didn't seem too expensive to us as the trip from Arequipa to Colca is long and the guide will be with us for three days. Write to Alejandro at servitours@hotmail.com.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,483 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colca Canyon Tour Question

If you do not have a guide you will miss a lot of things to see while at the Colca Canyon.

It does not seam expensive to me for a private guide and car. Its a 4 hr drive to Colca each way.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Colca Canyon Tour Question

i have a seperate question on colca canyon.

how difficult is the 2d/1n tour to the canyon? from the itinerary, it seems that the first day is pretty much on the bus with some hot spring time in the afternoon. so is the trekking all on the second day? is it easy, moderate or difficult? how long is the hiking in terms of distance and time?

thanks.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,483 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colca Canyon Tour Question

As far as I know, no mayor hiking is involved on the Colca Canyon tours. Normally you are taken to see the condors and the several small towns in the area.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colca Canyon Tour Question

Thanks Xochitl,

You are so helpful on this board. I feel good about the price now that I know how far away the canyon is. Would you suggest I set the guide up through Casa Arequipa or Carlos Zarate? Both have quoted about the same price. (Carlos was a bit less expensive) Do you have a preference?

Thanks again!

Kristin

6. Re: Colca Canyon Tour Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:29 am, August 28, 2009