We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Peru to the US without yellow fever vaccine.

Stavanger
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
From Peru to the US without yellow fever vaccine.

Hi! Heading for Peru this febuary. Since my girlfriend is very negative towards vaccines in general, and especcialy the yellow fever vaccine, we are only staying in areas where there are no risk of getting the illness. However, since we are travelling back home to Norway from LA, I'm wondering if we could have any problems getting into the US without vaccination proof? Again, we will only venture around areas outside the risk zone.

Thank you in advance, guys!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Peru to the US without yellow fever vaccine.

Might be worth asking on a US forum (if you can find one).

Looking at the CDC site, it seems they only recommend YF if visitors are travelling to the jungle area. No mention of need a vaccination if returning to the US.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Peru to the US without yellow fever vaccine.

Just make sure that Norway is OK with no yellow fever vaccine.

Some countries (I believe Australia is one) require the YF vaccine for residents returning home from Peru, even if they didn't visit the jungle areas. (They must have the YF vaccine prior to visiting Peru.)

Stavanger
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: From Peru to the US without yellow fever vaccine.

Ok. Thank you for the swift reply:) I don't think that would cause any problems as we are visiting friends in LA after our trip to Peru, and will probably stay there a couple of weeks before we go back home. I'm not completely sure, but I think we could only encounter any problems if we would have stayed in a country with YF 6 days or less prior to our return home?

My main concern is getting into the states straight from Peru without the vaccine.. After posting the same question on the US forum it looks like we'll be ok!

Thank you guys!

Houston
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Peru to the US without yellow fever vaccine.

FWIW--My Peruvian husband moved here to the US 2 years ago and has traveled back and forth several times. His lack of a yellow fever shot has never been an issue.

Edited: 10:45 am, January 25, 2014
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Peru to the US without yellow fever vaccine.

Whenever I travel from Peru to the US, I've never been asked if I have the YF immunization (though I have gotten it) or which places I've been to. I don't think any of the American forum users have mentioned about such problem when going back home. I would recommend finding out if your home country has such requirements, like the Australia example from above.

Houston
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Peru to the US without yellow fever vaccine.

Honestly, the only place that has ever cared at all about my husband's vaccinations is the blood bank. (He's a sucker for the free t-shirts so he donates at every opportunity. They love his blood type. It's a total win/win.)

7. Re: From Peru to the US without yellow fever vaccine.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 27, 2015