We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Review of Our Trip to Peru W/The Traveling Professor

Long Beach...
Destination Expert
for Long Beach
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Short Review of Our Trip to Peru W/The Traveling Professor

We had a wonderful trip to Peru with The Traveling Professor (www.travelingprofessor.com).

This was our first guided tour--we have done lots of Europe by DIY in a rental car--but decided that this trip would be better in a tour. It certainly was--Steve, the owner, accompanied our group of 16. The group was great!

We started in the trip in Lima--we had two extra nights (really one and half nights) at the hotel--El Tambo in the Miraflores section. Separate review of hotel has been submitted. It was in a good location, close to the cliffs overlooking the beach; the LarcoMar shopping center; Parque Kennedy, lots of shopping and restaurants. We had an excursion to the Plaza de Armas with a guided tour of the cathedral and monastery. We also stopped at the Larco Museum for a tour of its beautiful pottery collection and a quick look at the gardens. We had dinner at La Dama Juana--a buffet restaurant with a floor show with Peruvian dancers/dances. I thought the food was good to very good--you could get a little taste of everything. For me, the dancers were talented, but the show was TOO long.

The next morning we flew from Lima to Cusco. Wow--what a change in altitude in only one hour. We had taken a diamox to ward off altitude sickness--we were glad we had. Two or three of our group had splitting headaches. That afternoon we had a tour of the square, cathedral, and Saksayhuaman--an Incan ruin. Hotel was Terra Andina--good location, near a supermarket, and the mercado, and town square. Separate review for it.

The following day we were on the train to Machu Picchu. We left our luggage and dirty clothes at the hotel and took a backpack on the train as required by Peru Rail. After a very scenic 3 hour train ride--we were finally there! The drop in altitude cured the splitting headaches. We checked into the El MaPi hotel (the nicest hotel we were at for the trip). We went up to MP on the bus that afternoon. When we first got there, it started to rain--but by the time we all had our rain ponchos on it had stopped. The sun came out and it was beautiful. Pictures don't do it justice. We were all awe struck. I decided not to spend money on hiking boots or shoes--what a mistake--my wonderful walking shoes (I have two pairs of the same shoe) did not have the needed traction. Plus, I had planned to buy a walking stick after we got up there--could not find one--and should have brought one from home. I am klutzy and afraid of walking down steep trails/steps and had a hard time. The next day, the intrepid had 7 AM reservations for the hike up Wayna Picchu--two of the women made it up and back in 55 minutes! In the afternoon, we met up with everyone and for a planned hike to the Sun Gate--I bailed at the first stop and stayed there and people watched. The hike unfortunately ended in a rainstorm and no view at the Sun Gate due to the clouds. We spent another night at the El MaPi (separate review).

The next day we were up early to catch the train to Ollaytambo. We exited the train and got on the bus for a tour of the Sacred Valley, including the animal preserve that has a puma, llamas, alpaca, condors, and the national dog of Peru (an overgrown Chinese Crested kind of dog). Back to the Terra Andina for one more night. We also stopped at the Pisaq market--I really didn't see anything that you couldn't buy in Lima, Cusco, MP, or Puno. Prices seemed to be the same (or the price that you could negotiate to was pretty much set) for these items no matter where you were. By the end of the trip, we felt that most of the items were not Peru handicrafts, but made in China without a label.

Up early again the next morning for a long, but scenic drive to Puno. We had two nights in Puno--with the full day spent on Lake Titicaca. We had a guided tour of the floating islands and then lunch on Taquile Island. The customs of the locals were very interesting and I think tourism is the only thing that is keeping them that way. One of the houses on the Urqos floating islands had cable TV and a radio!

We all had the same flight out of Juliaca back to Lima. We had a morning to sleep in, goof off, shop, check out the cathedral, and most of us went to the main square at noon to check out the parade of the local schools and police. We then had a bus tour to a look out in Puno and then to the Sillustani funeral towers near Lake Umayo. Then onward to the Juliaca airport for our return to Lima and the end of the trip.

Everyone had a red-eye out but us. We used B and B de Enrique (really K I K E but Tripadvisor doesn't like it as it is a pejorative) for overnight. Excellent for our needs.

Steve is changing up his tour to Peru next year--starting it in Cusco and ending in the Amazon rather than Puno. Several in our group hope to join him in 2014.

We really enjoyed our trip!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,722 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Review of Our Trip to Peru W/The Traveling Professor

Thanks for posting.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,060 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Review of Our Trip to Peru W/The Traveling Professor

Thanks for the report.

One point for clarification though for any reading, Peru Rail will transport large luggage if needed, if you click the box that says "Free Storage Space" you will see that "Transfers of bulky luggage are available from and to Ollantaytambo, at no cost, for up to 23 kg, in the following timetable:"

Long Beach...
Destination Expert
for Long Beach
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short Review of Our Trip to Peru W/The Traveling Professor

Thank you for the clarification about the luggage. There was a small box at the station similar to those you see at the airport to check the size of your baggage. Most people seemed compliant.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,060 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short Review of Our Trip to Peru W/The Traveling Professor

No problem, I think because it is only one train each way, not too many people are aware of this baggage policy.

Harrison, TN
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short Review of Our Trip to Peru W/The Traveling Professor

Patricia, you did such an excellent job of reviewing our tour there's not much I can add. Maybe to say it was a long held dream come true. And The Professor was a huge part of making it happen. He had prepared us via emails with so much information that I was certainly ready for almost everything. While our itinerary was well planned out, Steve was open to any and all suggestions or requests. Some of us wanted to see a museum in Lima that was not planned but he made the arrangements for us (it was the archeology museum, it was great). The hotels & their staff(s) were wonderful as were the local guides.

The small (16 in our group) size of our group made for easy traveling, dinner arrangements, and friendships. While we had plenty of planned activities, there was ample free time to wander off on your own. As Steve would say - this is your trip, I want you to do what makes you happy.

I would travel again with Steve any time, any where and would (and have) recommend him to my friends. That tour of Spain sure does seem to be calling my name.........

Long Beach...
Destination Expert
for Long Beach
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short Review of Our Trip to Peru W/The Traveling Professor

Thanks for joining in on the praise of this trip. I have a great picture of you from MP that I need to email.

I am thinking of his woman's only trip to Paris next fall.

Yes, this trip was a dream come true that Steve made possible.

Pat

7. Re: Short Review of Our Trip to Peru W/The Traveling Professor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, February 23, 2014
Long Beach...
Destination Expert
for Long Beach
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short Review of Our Trip to Peru W/The Traveling Professor

There were a couple of people on our trip that had been on previous trips with him. He doesn't accompany the women only tour to Paris. I am considering the one in October/November.

It sounds wonderful to me.

new york
Level Contributor
38 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Short Review of Our Trip to Peru W/The Traveling Professor

Thanks! Because of my work schedule, I need to do the August trip.

10. Re: Short Review of Our Trip to Peru W/The Traveling Professor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, February 23, 2014