We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amazon or Lake Titicaca/Arequipa/Colca canyon

Canada
Level Contributor
235 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Amazon or Lake Titicaca/Arequipa/Colca canyon

Hi there. We will be travelling to Peru and Galapagos at the end of October. We have about 5-6 days in between our inca trail hike to Machu Picchu and our cruise around the Galápagos Islands. Would you recommend spending the time in the amazon or exploring the Lake Titicaca/Arequipa/Colca canyon area? Thank-you!

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Amazon or Lake Titicaca/Arequipa/Colca canyon

Both are interesting. BUT... if you can afford it I recommend a tour of Manu, down in the Amazon basin. Access is restricted and must be done on a tour. They only allow a set number of tourists into the reserve at a time. There is also a set ratio of guides to tourists and the guides must have a profeciency of knowledge of the area. Manu is one of the most biologically diverse areas on the planet. PBS did a series years back called the Living Edens and Manu was one episode. Invest in the DVD even though it actually does not show the full wonder of the place. You reach it via bus and small boat. Pantiacolla in Cuzco is one of the agencies. I've been all over South America as a traveler and other wise. Manu is certainly in my top three.

Edited: 5:16 pm, August 26, 2013
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amazon or Lake Titicaca/Arequipa/Colca canyon

How many days are you spending in the whole area of Cusco, Sacred Valley besides the Inca Trail? I hope you are spending at least two nights before you I.T. for acclimatization.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,781 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amazon or Lake Titicaca/Arequipa/Colca canyon

Either is fine. Depends on what else you're doing in Peru and whether you'd like to see more of the mountains and Inca sites or the jungle.

Canada
Level Contributor
235 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amazon or Lake Titicaca/Arequipa/Colca canyon

Thanks for the responses. We have not decided on anything else other than the Inca Trail.

103billw, are you referring to Cusco to Manu? I was looking into Tambopata National Reserve. Would it be more effective use of time to go to Manu from Cusco and back to head to Ecuador or go to Puerto Maldonado and Tambopata? Are there any safety concerns? I read about some safety issues in the Amazon. Thanks again!

5. Re: Amazon or Lake Titicaca/Arequipa/Colca canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 28, 2014