We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Peru

Baltimore
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Peru

Any concerns with driving in southern Peru in late April? I have 10 days in Peru. The plan was to land in Lima. After a few days there pick up a rental car and head to Ica for a couple days, then on to Cusco to see MP and then head back to Lima. Anyone know about road conditions in April along the route? Any concerns with driving in Peru that I should know about?

I don't mind a bus, it just seems kind of boring. I would prefer the freedom of having my own car, though I consider a nice train ride a good alternative.

Houston
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Peru

Go on YouTube and watch some videos.

I, personally, won't be driving in Perú until after I have lived there a while and it is necessary. This is a very popular topic--use the search function and you will get lots of information. Good luck!

Oh, and while buses can be boring, the variety of individuals traveling can provide a great deal of entertainment!

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Peru

I've lived and worked in Peru plus several vacation trips. Driving is a bad idea. It's not a cool road trip. Public transport goes every where you are going. Better to sit in a comfortable bus free to watch the scenery then worried about road hazards. Driving in Lima is insane. Forget about trains.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Peru

Go by bus: Cruz del Sur, Oltursa are one of the best. Driving in Peru can be hellish, avoid it if possible, You will understand when arriving in Lima..

It is so refreshing to be in a clean bus with a clean bathroom, instead of a car and stopping at some Gas Station with a shady bathroom. Buses are so more comfortable.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,394 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Peru

For me, driving or going by bus are both dangerous and very time consuming.

Drive to Cusco takes 24 hours, flying only 1 hour.

5. Re: Driving in Peru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 20, 2014