We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where else do you wish you had visited?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
79 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Where else do you wish you had visited?

I am a single male traveler in his early 50s, I will be visiting Peru for the first time in May. I have two weeks planned - the first based in Cusco with 3d/2n at Agua Caliente / MP, the second at a Tambopata eco-lodge.

I now have the opportunity to spend an additional week in Peru, the third week would be added to the beginning of the trip.

So the question to you experienced Peru travelers: where else do you wish you had visited?

And a related question: if you go back to Peru, where will you go?

TIA

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where else do you wish you had visited?

i had no time for sipan, for titicaca, cruz de condor, etc etc…i could probably go on for quite some time. no regrets! i will return someday. ¡viva el peru!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,206 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where else do you wish you had visited?

I always regretted not having had more time in Lima; it was during the holidays so some of the best museums were closed. Plus, there were soo-ooo many restaurants to try!

Not if, but when, I go back, I would like to spend time at Sipan, Chincheros, and Cajamarca.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where else do you wish you had visited?

My wife and I wished we had more time in Arequipa and we would have also liked a bit more time to hike around in Colca Canyon.

Peru
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where else do you wish you had visited?

I recommend you split your time between Lima and either the southern coast for marine wildlife, geoglyphs, and pisco (Paracas, Nazca, Ica) or the northern coast for pre-Inca ruins, beaches, and ceviche (Trujillo, Chiclayo, Huanchaco).

If archaeology is your thing, then perhaps the Kuelap ruins & Gocta waterfall in Chachapoyas.

Happy travels!

Anabel

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,907 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where else do you wish you had visited?

You should visit Arequipa and the Colca Canyon at least

Or also Puno and Lake Titicaca

Freetown, Sierra...
Level Contributor
57 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where else do you wish you had visited?

I wouldn't want to miss Colca Canyon and Puno / Titicaca, as well as Nazca. Regerts - wish I had had time for Pisco and Ica.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where else do you wish you had visited?

We did the whole circuit (this was driving, not flying) Lima - Pisco - Huacachina Oasis - Nazca - Puerto Inka - Arequipa - Puno - Lake Titicaca - Cusco - Sacred Valley - Ollentaytambo - Aguas Calientes - Machu Picchu - Cusco - Lima - Iquitos (Amazon). I am glad that I got to see all of these places and wouldn't have wanted to miss any of them, the only other place I wish we had gone was the Colca Canyon.

Edited: 11:04 am, March 06, 2013
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where else do you wish you had visited?

I would do the trip up north. Fly to Trujillo (Chan Chan & Huaca de Luna), Senora de Cao, bus to Chiclayo/Lambayeque (Lord of Sipan museum, Túcume, Sicán National Museum, Chaparri Ecolodge (http://www.chaparrilodge.com), then on to Chachapoyas (Kuelap, Revash, Karajia, Gocta Falls). You can continue thru to Tarapoto and fly back to Lima from there.

Not many companies specialize in northern Peru. Be sure you pick one that does this regularly and not someone that just sells you bus tickets and lodging.

Chiclayo isn't the safest city in Peru and hotels can be surprisingly expensive. A nice hotel for a single traveler is Hotel Mochiks http://www.hotelmochiks.com/

Edited: 3:09 pm, March 06, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
79 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where else do you wish you had visited?

Thanks for the replies! This is my first trip to South America, I am very glad I found this forum.

Okay, I am considering:

Arequipa / Colca Canyon

Puno / Lake Titicaca

Southern Coast (Paracas, Nazca, Ica)

I am investigating the northern ruins as suggested by a couple people in this thread.

Lima is a possibility although I usually avoid big cities.

So the big question is: if the places listed above were NOT part of a trip that included the Inca culture (MP, Cusco, Sacred Valley, etc.) and the rainforest would you still go?

To ask in a different way: are they interesting enough on their to justify a trip to another continent?

Freetown, Sierra...
Level Contributor
57 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where else do you wish you had visited?

For me - yes, I would still want to go. Peru is so diverse, MP and Sacred Valley is just one part of it. If I went to Peru again, I would probably not go to MP again, but could easily spend another 3 weeks seeing other parts of it.