We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peru for 5 days

new York City, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Peru for 5 days

Our trip ends in Peru, we are going there for 5 days

1 day- reaching Lima at 10:30pm, so staying at the hotel at the airport (cant do much)

2 day - morning rake the flight to Cuzco , drop the bags and Sacred Valley tour

3- Day - Sacred valley tour

4- MP

5 day- morning city tour Cozco and flight back to Lima and 10:30pm flight back to USA

My questions

1.Should I take a private guide for the above days or can DIY? Private guide is costing about $1100 for 2 of us takes care of everything. (not including the hotel and air)

2. On the 5th day i have an option to take 1:30pm flight from CUZ to LIma or the 5:30pm. the 1:30pm is cheaper by $150 per person (so $300 save), Is it worth doing the city tour in Cozco or take the 1:30pm flight and do the city tour of Lima?

thanks for you suggestions

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peru for 5 days

Its pretty easy to get around the Sacred Valley on your own using buses or taxis and much cheaper than a private guide however because you have very little time a private guide will help you cover alot more in a shorter amount of time.

You have a Sacred Valley tour on Day 2 and Day 3? I would say just the one day is good enough...add it to time in Cusco.

You dont really need a guided tour of Cusco. On the day you arrive just head for the Plaza De Armas and wander around to see everything. For the Sacred Valley the next day cover Pisac and Ollantaytambo and then head to Machu PIcchu the next and on the way back to Cusco after Machu PIcchu hit up Maras and Moray.

On you last day try to squeeeze in Sacsayhuaman and anything else you missed in Cusco but if you can I would try to get to Lima early as I think it too deserves at least a day to see the sights there.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peru for 5 days

One thing to add to JodoKast1221's post above, depending on when you are traveling, there might be the possability of flight delays out od Cusco, you are best to give yourself as much time as possible between your Cusco/Lima and Lima/US flights.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
43 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peru for 5 days

I took a guide around the sacred valley, there was too much history for me to read about on my own! For MP my friends and I did it alone having already read up on the history. I found it more enjoyable to be able to do MP alone than with a guide hurrying us along.

I wrote about my MP experience here: …blogspot.com/2013/01/peru-part-4-machu-picc…

new York City, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Peru for 5 days

I might just hire a local guide once i am there

July

Day 1 - come to Lima (10:30pm)and stay at the airport hotel

Day 2 - directly go to Ollantaytambo and stay at El Albergue. do the Sacred valley

Day 3 - complete MP and something local there..stay at El Albergue

Day 4 - If some more ruins near by do that by noon and leave to Cuzco, walk around the city in Cuzco.stay in Cuzco

Day 5 - early morning take a flight to Lima, local walk around the city and late night flight back to USA

I know i have to buy the MP tickets in advance but for some reason if the weather is not good on day 3 and i can do it on day 4, do I have to buy 2 days tickets?

Any other suggestions regarding the stay?

Also any suggestion on which hotel in Cozco?

Edited: 9:47 pm, January 31, 2013
Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peru for 5 days

Day 4 - I would get an early start and head for Moray, as it is on the way to Cusco. Depending on the time you have there is also the salt mines of Maras and Chinchero which are all off the same road between The SV and Cusco.

And yes, if you purchase your MP tickets for day 3 and the weather is bad, you would have to buy new tickets for day 4.

I don’t see a reference for when you are traveling, depending on when you go you could wait until you get here, the only real risk of them selling out id during the busy season.

new York City, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Peru for 5 days

I am traveling in second week of July 2013

Day 2 - If i take a taxi from Cuzco to Ollantaytambo and on the way i can stop by Puka Pukara,Pisac,Calca,Urbamba. So should I hire a guide when I reach Cuzco?

Day 4- On my way back to Cuzos i can go to Maras salt pans, Moray experimental farming terraces, Chincheros Inca. And a evening walk the city of Cuzco

Do you know whats an average rate for an guide there?

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peru for 5 days

I wouldn't risk waiting to purchase your MP tickets, that is still high season. I know the website is still having issues, for now I would say just keep checking back.

While we have never actually used a guide, we have been quoted prices from S/20 to S/80 Soles depending on the sight and person.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
432 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Peru for 5 days

Day 4 is fine but I think you have too much on day 2. Olly and Pisaq are two major sites. Pisaq has a great market and is the best place to pickup souvenirs.

I also wanted to do as much as possible when I arrived but our host used to be a guide and told us it would not be possible and we tend to do more than most tours in a day. Sites close around 5pm.In the end she was right.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Peru for 5 days

While the Pisac market does have a large selection of items, the prices tend to be higher there than in the Artisanal market in Cusco. The only thing worth buying there is items you can’t find at other locations.

new York City, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Peru for 5 days

I have booked the El Albergue Ollantaytambo, so the station it just next to me. I was planning to take the 5 am train so I am at Augas by 6:34am. We are not planning to climb the mountain. So usually how much time is enough up there, should I take the return ticket at 1:00pm? is that time enough?

Or do you advice me taking the later train the morning too?