We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How hard is it to move to Peru & live there?

11 posts
Save Topic
How hard is it to move to Peru & live there?

I'm only 19 & live in England, but maybe would like to move to Peru in a few years. I don't know Spanish, though.

My main questions are; how hard is it to move & settle in Lima? Will I be able to get an English speaking job? How is their hospital? Cuz I have diabetes, type 1.

So bascially, I met this girl online and I want to spend the rest of my life with her. It would be so difficult for her to move, but I've thought about moving in a few years to make it easier.

Houston
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How hard is it to move to Peru & live there?

Step one: Plan a visit.

Step two: Plan a longer visit for a few months.

Step three: By this time, you should be prepared to actually move there, if this is what you still want.

The son of a friend of a friend of mine did this. He went to volunteer a couple of years ago and has never left. He works whatever he can find and mooches a lot and travels around and loves his lifestyle completely. It's not for everybody, but for him, it absolutely beats the daily grind of his corporate job here in the US.

I plan to move to Perú in a few years, depending on finances and family situations. We have very loose plans as of now to move there in about 10-15 years but we already have an established family and support system.

As far as your diabetes goes, it is very common in a country where so much of the food is carb centered. My MIL in Lima is diabetic and has no issues with obtaining quality health care (except dental--I hope it is just bad luck, though!).

Here is a website that sometimes has good info that you might like:

http://www.expatperu.com/

There are several regulars here on this forum that have made the move from other countries that can probably give you some really useful insight.

Good luck!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,338 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How hard is it to move to Peru & live there?

Hi!

I think if you are interested in moving to Peru, your first concern should be the language. I wouldn't move to a country where I cannot speak the language at least at a basic level.

An English speaking job can be easy or hard to get depending on your work experience. Lots of Peruvians attend English language schools so that they can improve their résumés and they have a hard time finding an appropriate job.

Medical care is great if you can afford the private healthcare system. It's not too expensive (for developed world standards) but my understanding is that in UK healthcare is free. That is not the luck for a lot of Peruvians.

I think it is very sweet of you to think of moving with the girl you met online. Remember that you are young (and I assume that she is too) and so many things can happen while you make preparations. Online relationships not always work out in the end. Good luck!

11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How hard is it to move to Peru & live there?

She is 18, don't worry, and we've just got to know each other for 7 months. We both understand we're young, she has her uni & I have my job. I'm looking to visit for 2 weeks, next year or later, then decide if I want to live in peru. I have to start saving, for sure.

Language... *sigh* is there any good websites that can teach Spanish, well I go look for a course in my local college?

jersey
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How hard is it to move to Peru & live there?

Hello.

I have travelled in South America, Particularly Peru for a few years in total. In the past i came close to settling there. However, you are only 18 and have by the sounds of it never travelled there and don't speak the language. Learning to speak Spanish is the first important thing, and you can attend college there. However if i was you i'd travel there first to understand what it's like.

Also, work over there isn't gonna pay well if you can get it. I get the impression that most sensible ex pats moved to Peru with plenty of savings and then started a backpackers hostal business or related. Peru is cheap, but not as cheap as it once was, and you'll need some money to start up. I think it's vital to have plenty savings before making any bold plans. I wouldn't like to be there with no money.

Perhaps you are better off travelling there, having fun, to decide if the country and girl really is for you first? Might as well 'get real'.

Edited: 3:18 am, January 07, 2013
Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,246 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How hard is it to move to Peru & live there?

I personally love it here, made my move back in Aug. 2012. I did make several trips beforehand to be sure it was going to be what I wanted.

I haven’t needed any medical care as of yet, but from what I hear, it is good. You can get medical insurance fairly cheap, we have a policy for my step son that is full coverage and only costs us about $200 USD a year.

Definitely learn some Spanish and make a few trips before you make the big leap.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How hard is it to move to Peru & live there?

If you haven't yet been to Peru then I suggest the very first thing you do is plan a visit. Plan a visit for several months and learn Spanish in Peru, you will probably find it easier to learn Spanish whilst living it. You will find life in Peru is simpler if you can speak Spanish well, and this will help you get a job.

You will only be able to get a job with the correct immigration status, and you will need to have a contract of employment from a registered Peruvian company to do this.

Regarding health care, you will probably find that at the age of 19 private healthcare is probably a little too expensive in Peru. If you find good Peruvian employment and are put 'Planella' then you have access to the national health system in Peru, which is not the best, but in Lima will cover you for any major problems.

At the age of 19, beautiful girls in Peru can seem quite tempting! But don't rush into anything, take your time and make good decisions about your future.

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How hard is it to move to Peru & live there?

First plannified a visit to Peru for a short time just to be sure that It will be safe, take spanish lessons. You can get a low cost medical insurance (is not really expensive).

8. Re: How hard is it to move to Peru & live there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 10, 2014