We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow Fever Documentation - is is needed?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Yellow Fever Documentation - is is needed?

Hello;

I am a seasoned, single parent traveller, starting to gather information for a month trekking in and around peru with my daughter in July.

I am all for innoculations/vaccinations to keep us safe, but I have heard conflicting reports as to whether we need to carry specific papers indicating that we have had out Yellow Fever vaccinations, etc.

Could anyone let me know the following:

1) Is there in fact currently Yellow Fever present in Peru/Amazon?

2) Is there malaria present in Peru/Amazon?

3) have any recent travellers been turned away for not

having/carrying Yellow Fever documentation?

4) Are all travellers entering Peru currently required to be vaccinated for Yellow fever?

Thanks for all advice and help!

Regards,

Cora (Canada)

Sasolburg,South...
Level Contributor
411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellow Fever Documentation - is is needed?

Hi Cora, I was innoculated against yellow feaver in 2007 when I went to the Amazon in Brazil.It was checked at customs .

In 2008 I spend 9 days in the Amazon in Peru(Manu).

At customs at Lima airport, I was not asked to present my yellow feaver certificate.Yellow fever innoculation was suggested to me by the tour operator that I used in Peru.

In short, it is better to be safe ,than sorry.Innoculate yourself and your daughter against yellow fever.This should be done 1 month before your departure, in case you come down with light sysmptoms of the disease.Consult your Doctor for this .

Malaria is always present in the Amazon.Once again, your Doctor should prescribe the correct dosage for you.Usally the course would start 1 week prior to departure and end 1 week after you have returned to Canada.

Treat the yellow feaver document the same as your passport.On return to Canada , you may be asked to present this.It was the case with me upon my return to South Africa in 2007 and 2008.

Enjoy the Amazon

Heinrich

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellow Fever Documentation - is is needed?

I agree with DaySouthAfrica to take the Yellow Fever vaccine

For my trip to Puerto Maldonado it was mandatory.

Have a great trip!

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellow Fever Documentation - is is needed?

1)Yes

2)Yes

3&4 Generally this is an issue when you are returning from Peru to the next country or countries in your itinerary.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellow Fever Documentation - is is needed?

I was innoculated against yellow fever and I stayed in Puerto Maldonado for 5 days.

They did not ask to see my certificate at Lima airport. But I believe that precautions are better then cure.

I suggest you go and see your GP/ nurse for all required vaccinations. They will vaccinate you free on NHS but you will be charged for yellow fever vaccination.

Edited: 2:49 pm, March 08, 2011
London, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellow Fever Documentation - is is needed?

Thanks all!!

We have been vaccinated for anything and everything from travelling throughout China & Asia, and the Middle East & Caribbean...it was not required when we trekked Chile & Easter Island, but given we will spend part of our time in the jungle, I am not suprised!!

Thanks very much..I will schedule us in to consult out travel doctor this month!!

Kind Regards!!

Cora

Chiclayo, Peru
Level Contributor
805 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellow Fever Documentation - is is needed?

It's not mandatory and nobody will check your certificate anywhere in Peru. Yellow fever and malaria do both exist in the Amazon however. If you consult a doctor make sure she knows the area since many doctors will recommend malaria treatments for your entire time in South America while in reality it's only necessary in certain areas. (Lima, Cusco, MP, Arequipa and Lake Titicaca have no yellow fever or malaria for example.)

London, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellow Fever Documentation - is is needed?

That IS good advice because I hesitate to put my daughter through that treatment..it made her very sick in South China!

Thanks so much for adding this information for me to consider about the anti-malaria medication!! I appreciate it!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellow Fever Documentation - is is needed?

I must admit that although I took all the necessary vaccinations I did not take any anti malaria medication.

I used 50 % deet from Boots, wrist bands patches and ultra sonic repeller. I was not bitten by mozzies or insects even though I stayed in the Jungle

London, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellow Fever Documentation - is is needed?

ooooohhhhh, Ultra sonic repeller?? Never heard of it...googling it now!!

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellow Fever Documentation - is is needed?

Also I forgot to mention I also took vitamins B tablets two months before my departure. This is supposed to prevent mosquito bites.

Edited: 7:15 am, March 10, 2011