We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TACA airlines $178 additional fee.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
TACA airlines $178 additional fee.

i have read a ton of posts in the Peru forum about Taca vs. LAN and it seems TACA wins out in every way.

i am confused though as when i go to book a flight via taca.com to Cuzco it clearly states that i will be charged at $178 fee at the airport if i choose the PROMO flight. some people have posted that TACA does not charge this?

So, my questions would be:

1. has anyone booked via TACA, chose the cheapest price and then charged $178 at the airport?

2. if you were charged was it $178 once from Lima or were you charged $178 each way?

3. TACA also offers an ACCESS flight that is $148, based on the message i received prior to proceeding to the booking page the $178 fee does not apply to this flight, correct?

For your reference below is the exact message received when I attempted to book with TACA:

"The price of our PROMO fare in the route you selected (Lima to Cuzco) is exclusive to residents of Peru. If you are not a resident of Peru and purchase this Fare Family, you will need to pay a fee of $178.50 at the airpor the day of your trip. This fee doesn't apply for the rest of the Fare Families."

Once on the booking page there are 6 fare types: PROMO, ACCESS, BENEFIT, FLEXIBLE, PREMIUM, ELITE. Are each of these a different "Fare Family"?

Thanks!!!!

Amanda

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: TACA airlines $178 additional fee.

1) I booked a flight with TACA last year and flew with them this past June from Cusco to Lima but at that time there was no PROMO flight which has been recently introduced and like LAN is for residents of Peru only. The good thing about TACA is at least they warn you without you having to search the fine print to find it.

2) You would be charged the $178.50 per ticket held meaning you pay $178.50 regardless if your ticket is a one-way or return.

3) Yes you are correct. As long as you dont book the PROMO flight you will not have to pay the $178.50. ACCESS, BENEFIT, FLECIBLE, PREMIUM, and ELITE are fair game for anyone booking flights in Peru and have been for a while. The PROMO fare was only recently introduced as a low cost fare for residents of Peru.

You can also try www.starperu.com or www.peruvianairlines.pe for flights and neither of them has a special fare for residents of Peru to worry about yet.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: TACA airlines $178 additional fee.

Thanks for such a comprehensive answer! It helped alot!

I searched the 2 sites you mentioned (thx!) and the first gave me a price of $154 USD and the 2nd gave me a price of $234 USD, but TACA is $148 so i think i'll stick with that.

Thanks again!

Amanda :)

Edited: 3:34 pm, January 11, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,490 posts
66 reviews
3. Re: TACA airlines $178 additional fee.

Yes, TACA has started reserving the cheapest fare class "PROMO" for Peruvian residents, following the lead of LAN. However, the next highest fare class "ACCESS" is not that much more expensive.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,948 posts
538 reviews
4. Re: TACA airlines $178 additional fee.

If you arrive to Peru via Lan or Taca, you will find cheaper tickets for your connection o Cusco.

What these airlines are trying to do is for you to also book the international arrival to Peru. Its their battle against the USA airlines.

oshkosh
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: TACA airlines $178 additional fee.

Like you, I was confused with the differences in the pricing. A couple weeks ago, with info from a former post, I booked 2 r/t tickets on TACA Lima- Cusco thruTraficoperu.com. $320.00 total.

Hawaii Kai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: TACA airlines $178 additional fee.

Hi all. I'm still a bit confused.

So...the r/t cost from LIM to CUZ via TACA is:

Promo $108 + $178 fee vs Access $148 (no fee?)

If that's the case, Access fare is a better deal.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
47 reviews
7. Re: TACA airlines $178 additional fee.

Yes of course the ACCESS fare is a better deal. The whole point of the $178.50 is to make the PROMO fare for residents of Peru only so they can book low cost airfare.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: TACA airlines $178 additional fee.

Just buy the ACCESS fee :) and you'll be good to go!

Hawaii Kai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: TACA airlines $178 additional fee.

yes I'll definitely buy Access instead. was debating on bus or air from LIM to CUZ. thanks for clarification!

Salinas
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
10. Re: TACA airlines $178 additional fee.

Hi,

I booked and purchased round trip ticket from Lima to Cuzo, FLEXI fare at about 241.00 dollars. I don't have to pay extra 178,00 dollars, right?

When I called TACA airline, they kept saying it is considered PROMO.

I am very confused.

Would you please verify with me? thanks so much for your time.