We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cusco to Lima by Bus?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
224 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cusco to Lima by Bus?

Hi All.

We taking a bus from Lima to Nazca (8hrs I believe?). Then Nazca to Arequipa (12 hrs), then Arequipa to Cusco (11hrs).

My question is, are there direct buses from Cusco back to Lima, do they go back the route I would have just come?

I've also heard that the buses between Lima and Cusco are not good at all and usually have major delays, unlike the route (Lima, Nazca, Arequipa, Cusco).

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cusco to Lima by Bus?

Check www.cruzdelsur.com.pe

very safe and punctual

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,913 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cusco to Lima by Bus?

Cruz del Sur is your best bet.It takes about 22 hrs for the route Cusco-Abancay-Nazca-Lima which is the most direct route.

They have a First Class ticket with beds.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cusco to Lima by Bus?

As noted by someone, you can get a bus that can get you back to Lima in 22 hours. Or you can fly back, in a little over an hour for $65 on TACA.

Lima
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cusco to Lima by Bus?

$65 don't think so, I have checked the peruvian sites of all 3 airlines that fly into Cusco and the lowest airfare is above $100. Still worth to pay $120 or so instead of taking the long 22-hour bus ride, specially if someone's not accustomed to this type of journey.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,913 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cusco to Lima by Bus?

I just checked Taca.com for Aug 26th and they have one way tickets for as low as $55 plus taxes comes to $65 !

sfosmith
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cusco to Lima by Bus?

Is the $65 fare Cuzco to Lima subject to a non citizen surcharge? We booked a RT fare with traficoperu.com for around $150 and then found out they needed another $170 for not being Peruvian.

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cusco to Lima by Bus?

TACA does not differentiate between Peruvians & non-Peruvians. Same prices for all.

It is only on LAN that you will be hit for the surcharge if you book at the lowest, "Base" fare that is solely reserved for Peruvians. The LAN website is very clear about this.

sfosmith
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Cusco to Lima by Bus?

Thanks. We have cancelled our booking with LAN through traficoperu and booked a promotional flight Lima-Cuzco directly on the TACA website. $145 out the door compared with LAN's $300.

Comments on other forums allege LAN is sticking it to the foreigners. Another cites a government investigation into this practice.

In the future we will check TACA first.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cusco to Lima by Bus?

LAN is gouging tourists with high fees.

always best for me to go with www.taca.com

Bus Cusco to Lima long through some really risky areas

far better to fly back...

10. Re: Cusco to Lima by Bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 26, 2010