We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain poncho or Rain jacket for Inca Trail?

Fairfax, California
Level Contributor
508 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Rain poncho or Rain jacket for Inca Trail?

Was wondering what you all thought was necessary for a 4 day hike up the Inca Trail to MP on Sept 3?

I would normally wear a well vented rain jacket (and pants if needed) but am a little afraid of the weight of these items. Plus I would have to carry a back pack cover or plastic bag for my pack. A poncho, while light weight, does not supply very good coverage from the rain but it would cover my pack. Oh please, I have gone round and round with this enough. Which would you chose?

:-)

Susie

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain poncho or Rain jacket for Inca Trail?

We had both with us, also trekked in early September. The advantage of the jacket is that it can be used for another layer for warmth, both on the trail & in Cusco & elsewhere. I also brought rain pants but did not use them. It was too difficult to get them on when it started raining on the trail. Our guide put on gaiters to keep the lower legs of his pants dry (we had a stripe of mud at the lower 3" of our pant legs).

We did have rain 3 days out of 4, so you're not safe even in the "dry" season.

The advantage of the poncho is, as you stated, that it also covers your pack. I would guess that 70% to 80% of the people we saw on the trail used ponchos in the rain -- mostly the cheap plastic ones you can buy at home or in Cusco, or at MP 82, trailhead. They seemed to cover pretty well.

2. Re: Rain poncho or Rain jacket for Inca Trail?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, November 16, 2009