We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on budget trip to Peru

san francisco
4 posts
Save Topic
Advice on budget trip to Peru

I have two weeks off in July and I wanted to visit Peru. I had a friend who did it last year and she was very excited about Machu Pichu, the jungle and Lake Titikaka. Most of all she was impressed that she just spent around us$1000. Unfortunately my friend moved to Stockholm and I have not got the chance to contact with her yet so I really don't know how she did it. I want to go with my boyfriend and although we know that we could save some money if we personally make the trip arrangements once we arrive in Peru instead of using a travel agency, on the hand we realize that our Spanish is limited and we don`t know anything about places and schedules. We could end up wasting time and money without the appropriate advise. Can anyone tell us by experience if it is possible to purchase a 12 or 11 day tour in Peru (Machu Picchu included please) for us$1000 or less? We will be grateful for your repplies.

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Pucallpa Amazon Tours
City Tours, Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,660 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on budget trip to Peru

You mean to say you would lie to visit Peru, including MP for less than $100 per day ? I hope without including yr airfares ?

Lets do some quick math :

Air Fare to Peru from USA : around $600 to 1000 rtn

Air Fare to Cusco : $160 to $250 rtn

Hotels : $ 30 to 50 night x 11 nights = $330 to $550

Food : $10 to $30 day x 11 = $110 to $330

Train to MP (backpacer ) = $70

Bus AC to MP = $ 12

Entrance to MP = $38

Peru departure tax = $30

Local airport tax = $ 6

Tourist ticket to visit sites = $30

A tour guide = $ 50 to 70

Local transport by taxi $5 x 11 = $55

Souvenirs = $50 to 200

So, maybe if you bus from Lima to Cusco $ 35 (24 hrs ), eat daily menus at local small restaurants (and risk getting sick), stay at backpacker hotels sharing rooms for about $10 a night, use local buses for transport,walk from AC to MP and do not use a guide in MP, bus from Cusco to Olly and rtn for cheaper train tickets to MP.

I think it will be diffuicult, but doable.

If you include airfares, you cannot even arrive to Cusco.

Good luck !

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on budget trip to Peru

i totally agree with xochitl. Peru is not as cheap as it used to be .Maybe your friend visited Peru in low season.

san francisco
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on budget trip to Peru

Thanks so much xochitl and namieamsterdam for your quick advise and the calculations. No, I did not include the airfare in my trip budget, that I know comes separately and I have also considered a couple of hundred for transportation inside Peru. So, then it seems like it can be possible for us to spend 12 days traveling in Peru or not? Once again I would appreciate your helpful comments.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,660 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on budget trip to Peru

With the above numbers, you can make yr own calculations. I do not know what type hotels or food you will be taking etc.

Using this forum you can also make yr own hotel reservations and decide how much to spend.

If you have an ISIC student ID, you can save 50% on entry to a lot of sites, including MP.

san francisco
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on budget trip to Peru

Those are really good news xochitl! I am sure I can do it now, I am not too special about hotels and I eat lightly (I can fast if necessary!). Thanks so much once again!

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on budget trip to Peru

Don't fast!

If you go to local restaurants not frequented by tourists, you can get meals for about $3 or less. We saw several of these in Cusco while walking on Calle Choquechaca towards the Korichanka. Some were advertising lunch for 3 soles! In Lima, Aires Peruanos (Jr. Rufino Torrico 584) has lunch for less than 10 soles (including drink), plus salsa & merengue dancing to a live band.

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,923 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on budget trip to Peru

Stay in hostels in private rooms for under $30. Take buses except from Lima to Cuzco.

If you do your research here and on other sites you should not need a tour.

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
32 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on budget trip to Peru

Well, my last trip to the south of Peru wasn't that expensive (Puno, Arequipa and Cusco). It was a lot cheaper than $1000, of course, Cusco was the expensive one.

Recommendations:

Once u arrive to Lima, there's no need to travel by air to any other city. You should go by bus (Oltursa, Cruz del Sur or Ormeno). It's cheaper, funnier and u r able to see beaches, mountains, little towns, beautiful valley, etc.

Try local restaurants but, since one of the most attractive things about Peru is Dining, u should, at least, go once to a fine dining or buffet restaurant! u won't regret it ($20 to $50).

Hostels around Peru are pretty cozy, fun, and cheap. (check out Loki Backpackers, Flying Dog Hostels).

Make Cusco a memorable experience and try Hiram Bingham train to MP. ($70 per person).

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,660 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on budget trip to Peru

Leslie:

You forgot a 4 in front of the $70 for the Hiram Bingham train to MP, as the real cost is $470.

For $70 you can only ride the Backpacker train.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
32 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on budget trip to Peru

are u quite sure? i just checked the web page....

$45 for backpackers and $70 for vistadome.

$470 for just a ride seems to much don't u think? even a plain ticket is cheaper with that price...

maybe i am wrong but that's what i saw in webpage...