We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sacred valley-cuzco

2 posts
Save Topic
Sacred valley-cuzco

I will arrive to cuzco the next 4th.august, for better acclimatization to the altitude, I am considering stayng the first day in the sacred valley and then travelling to Machu Pichu.

My question is: If this approach is OK? If it is possible to travel from Cuzco airport to the SV? What is the cost of a taxi?

What is possible to do in one day in the SV? where is convenient to stay?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
238 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sacred valley-cuzco

Why don't you want to stay in Cuzco? Cuzco is a great town with lots to see and do. The altitude of Cuzco is actually slightly higher than Machu Pichu. Also, transportation to the SV is much easier to arrange from Cuzco- especially if you don't speak Spanish.

You take the train to Machu Pichu (if you are not going to hike the trail- which needs advance reservations).

You haven't told us how many days you have in that area.

There are a lot of great things to see in the Sacred Valley, but note that these are really spread out. It really isn't possible to see everything in one day. You could see a lot in one day, if you have your own transportation.

There are also 1-day SV tours that depart from Cuzco. These usually go on Tuesday and Sunday to coincide with the Pisco Market.

Regarding the altitude... some people are really bothered by the altitude for the first 2 or 3 days, and need to take it easy. Other people are not bothered at all. Still, you don't know how you will feel, and it is wise not to plan anything to strenuous for the first 2 days.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,147 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sacred valley-cuzco

Its a great idea to aclimatize in the SV.

Go to urubamba.com for a great accomodation and airport pickup.

A taxi from Cusco to the SV is about S/.70 or US $ 20.

Any hotel you book in the SV will help you with the airport pickup.

See tripadvisor for good hotel in the SV