We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

U.S. Passport Expires 3 Months From Departure Date

San Francisco
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
U.S. Passport Expires 3 Months From Departure Date

Hello,

I have read in travel books to Peru, that 6 months was the requirement for passports to be valid for entry. I would like to reconfirm if anyone has had a problem with their passport expiring 3 months from their departure date to Peru. We are only visiting for 10 days.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
476 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: U.S. Passport Expires 3 Months From Departure Date

When is your departure date? I don't think you should chance it and get your passport renewed; they might not let you in the country.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
319 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: U.S. Passport Expires 3 Months From Departure Date

This is from the US State Department web site

"If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met."

There was a recent post on the Thailand forums about an airline denying boarding to a person with 4 months left on their passport, so I would check directly with your airline and the State Department/passport office to be sure.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: U.S. Passport Expires 3 Months From Departure Date

Our departure is this month, March......although my U.S. passport does not expire until June 8,2008.

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
27 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: U.S. Passport Expires 3 Months From Departure Date

I wouldn't chance it. A few years ago, I was going to France and the customer service rep misread my the date and they weren't going to let me on the plane until I pointed out her mistake. She had misread the year. Also, when I was booking our trip for Peru I had to verify our expiration date.

Since it's a renewal you may be able to rush it through. My husband rushed his for a business trip last year. I'm not sure if he went through the SF office or sent it to another office.

Good Luck

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,287 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: U.S. Passport Expires 3 Months From Departure Date

I have sent a mail to the Peruvian Bureau of Tourism asking yr question, but still have no answer.

Why don´t you call the Peruvian consulate in SFO and ask them ?

Local Consular:

870 Market Street Suite 1067

San Francisco, California 94102

Teléfonos:

(415) 362-5185

(415) 362-5647

(415) 362-7136

E-mail :: conpersfco@aol.com

San Francisco
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: U.S. Passport Expires 3 Months From Departure Date

Thank you Xochitle for helping me out, and taking a step forward in finding the answer. I really appreciate everyone's input on this. I have checked with the National Passport agency by calling 1(877) 487-2778. They have checked their sources, and state that "only a valid passort is required to enter and depart Peru". They feel confident that I should be fine. However, after reading several Peru travel guide books (which state that the passport should be valid 6 months), and the responses on the forum, I would like to be 100% certain as I am leaving this Friday. I also called the Embassy, who then referred me to the Consulate. Unfortunately, this is where I have problems. The message recorder seems to go around in circles for automated assistance to frequently asked questions.

I will attempt to make calls tomorrow with the phone numbers Xochitle has given me. In the meantime, if anyone else can give me a final on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

7. Re: U.S. Passport Expires 3 Months From Departure Date

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, September 23, 2009