We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do Peru domestic flights have an extra fee for foreigners?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Do Peru domestic flights have an extra fee for foreigners?

Hi everyone,

Can anyone please confirm if foreigners have to pay extra for domestic flights inside Peru? I am finding conflicting info regarding this on the internet. The prices for booking flights online seem reasonable but some posts mention that you might have to pay extra (some mention up to $150) at the time of boarding if you are a foreigner. Can anyone confirm this?

Also I am flying into Lima but want to fly directly to Cusco from there. How long of a layover do you recommend for changing flights. For some reason direct flights from US to Cusco seem really expensive with long layovers.

Thanks

26 replies to this topic
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
19,043 posts
542 reviews
280 helpful votes
1. Re: Do Peru domestic flights have an extra fee for foreigners?

Avianca and Latam charge extra to foreigners flyng to Cusco on the local cheaper fares

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
2. Re: Do Peru domestic flights have an extra fee for foreigners?

Thanks. But if i book a flight online will i know the charges upfront or at the time of boarding? Also does mean that there is no extra charges if i fly to a city other than cusco?

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
227 posts
3. Re: Do Peru domestic flights have an extra fee for foreigners?

I thought LATAM had dropped this nonsense since last December?

14 posts
4. Re: Do Peru domestic flights have an extra fee for foreigners?

I have also heard before that LATAM had stopped doing this a few months ago. I am currently looking at booking a domestic flight which is quoted as being AU$100 on the Australian version of LATAM's site but only US$20 on the Peruvian version and I want to be certain I can book the Peruvian fare in confidence of not being slugged with a huge fine when I turn up to the airport. Is there anyone who knows for sure or who has actually successfully booked one of these domestic fares recently?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
731 posts
64 reviews
50 helpful votes
5. Re: Do Peru domestic flights have an extra fee for foreigners?

I checked with AVIANCA, if you are a foreign national and book your flight on their Peru website they told me an additional fee of $178 will be applied when you check in, if you don't pay you don't fly. I decided not to take the risk and we are using Peruvian Airlines

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
877 posts
48 reviews
29 helpful votes
6. Re: Do Peru domestic flights have an extra fee for foreigners?

Hello

This case is really confused to me:

LATAM inform me in mail that they dropped of different prices for Peruvians and foreign tourist. This is their message to me:

We are glad to greet you. We would like to inform since Dec 26th 2017 all the fares for domestic flights in Peru are available for residents and non residents in Peru, there are the followings:

PROMO : Not baggage

Not changes

Not refundable

LIGHT: Not baggage

Not changes

Not refundable

PLUS: 01pz of 23kg

Not changes with penalty

Not refundable with penalty

TOP 02 pz of 23kg

Changes without penalty

Refundable

You can get those prices in Paru Latam website.

I also want to check the prices at AVIANCA, so I put Multi City option for flight LIM - AQP / CUZ - LIM and got price 235 EUR / approx. 300 USD for 2 person. There is also mentioned ECOMOY RESTRICTED.

I also contacted my travel agent where I sometimes buy tickets who is part of TUI and they tell me that they worh with provider in The Netherlands and the price is 308 EUR (they must earn something which is normal) and they tell that if the tickets are bought in Europe they must be for foreigners not for Peruvians. On ticket is ECONOMY STANDARD.

I asked AVIANCA several times and the last answer IS as follows:

Regarding your query, let me inform you that if at the moment when you make the process, the website didn't show you any warning message saying that you can not by that fare, since that is only for Peruvian Residents, you can continue with the purchase of the fare what you have selected. Nevertheless, this processes are handled directly at airport. For that reason, if there is an inconvenient, it will be confirmed at airport the date of your flight, since we can not confirm this kind of information.

IS there somebody who knows which ticket to buy. If I buy at authorised seller like TUI, I think (guess, hope) that it is a correct ticket, since a penalty 178 USD for each ticket menas penalty over 700 USD for 2 person which is too much. There must anybody who knows which tickets are correct for foreigners:

Best regards

Ales

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
877 posts
48 reviews
29 helpful votes
7. Re: Do Peru domestic flights have an extra fee for foreigners?

Just additional information:

At multi city option (AVIANCA) you have no option to choose FLEXI - which is for foreigners only Economy and Business (which cost over 1000 EUR for 2 person.

Best regards

Ales

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
8. Re: Do Peru domestic flights have an extra fee for foreigners?

Thanks for the replies everyone. Honestly, i am thinking of just avoiding latam and avianca. @mansehra have you already travelled with Peruvian or are have you only booked the flights and they might still charge you at check-in?

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
9,515 posts
132 reviews
163 helpful votes
9. Re: Do Peru domestic flights have an extra fee for foreigners?

The moderator of the Flyertalk LATAM forum has confirmed that foreigners may buy any of the fares offered on the LATAM Peru website:

https:/…1891623-latam-peru-resident-fare.html

Some Avianca customers are being told one thing on the so-called Help Line, others another, even though an announcement was made re the cheaper fares a month or two back.

London
Level Contributor
43 posts
20 reviews
12 helpful votes
10. Re: Do Peru domestic flights have an extra fee for foreigners?

This is all rather bizarre. Surely if you book with a travel agent and it transpires that there is an additional fee when you arrive at the airport (but you had no prior warning of this during the booking process) you can simply take up the matter with the travel agent?

Reply to: Do Peru domestic flights have an extra fee for foreigners?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted