We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to put Puerto Maldonado

Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Where to put Puerto Maldonado

Through research and asking a few questions here on the forum, I have come up with a rough plan and have decided to visit Lima, Cusco/Machu Picchu and the jungle from Puerto Maldonado during my vacation to Peru. The one thing that I have not really be able to determine is if it will be better to do Puerto Maldonado before, or after Cusco.

Does anyone have any opinions as to what might be better, doing Puerto Maldonado before Cusco, or after Cusco?

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Puerto Maldonado
Puerto Maldonado
Madre de Dios Region, Peru
Peru
Peru
South America
7 replies to this topic
Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
734 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to put Puerto Maldonado

It doesn't really make any difference, but either fly into Puerto Maldonado from Lima at the beginning of your itinerary, or out of Puerto Maldonado to Lima at the end. Depending on your dates, the determining factor may be availability at the lodge/s.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Maldonado
Puerto Maldonado
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to put Puerto Maldonado

Since you are only doing Cusco & Puerto Maldonado it does not make much of a difference.

I think you will be more active in Cusco, so I would start there.

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Puerto Maldonado
Puerto Maldonado
Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,084 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to put Puerto Maldonado

I agree that it should not make any difference logistical speaking, but flight wise it could. Flights into, out of or through Cusco can be delayed, which Is why I always recommend putting Lima at the end and leaving the first day on arrival open.

If you put PM after Cusco, you could end up being late to start your tour if flights are delayed, or worse, canceled. I would Do PM before Cusco, and be sure to book a flight that does not go through Cusco (as some do), this way you only risk being late in Cusco and Lima, not Cusco and PM.

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to put Puerto Maldonado

And flights from Lima to Puerto Maldonado are not delayed or cancelled?

Some people will travel to PM the day before they start their tour to minimize delay risks. Especially in rainy season.

I agree it is good to have at least a couple days cushion in Lima at the end of your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Puerto Maldonado
Puerto Maldonado
Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,084 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to put Puerto Maldonado

Direct flights from Lima to Puerto Maldonado are much less likely to be canceled as neither of these airports are VFR designated, delays or cancellations are possible, but much less likely that with flights into, out of, or through Cusco, which is a VFR airport.

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Puerto Maldonado
Puerto Maldonado
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to put Puerto Maldonado

Thanks guys, I remember reading about flights in and out of Cusco, but did not think that it was something to consider with other locations. Sounds like doing Puerto Maldonado first might be the best idea.

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Puerto Maldonado
Puerto Maldonado
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to put Puerto Maldonado

To MikeinCusco, While I realize that you are trying to help, I did not appreciate the message advertising your services and have marked it as spam, I would not recommend cold contacting travelers in the future.

Reply to: Where to put Puerto Maldonado
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted