We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which guidebook is best for Peru?

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
95 reviews
Which guidebook is best for Peru?

Hi, Our family is soon to leave on a near 11 week journey, starting in Patagonia for 3 weeks then up into Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador...my question is which guide books are the best which we should bring with us? Which guide books would you recommend for Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador?

If anyone has a guidebook/s recommendation we would be very grateful!

Thank you for your help and advice.

5 replies to this topic
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
138 posts
283 reviews
1. Re: Which guidebook is best for Peru?

We have been consistently satisfied with Lonely Planet. I would buy one guide per country rather than one for South America, which will be too general and not very useful for your extended trip. Dump each guide as you leave the country.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,097 posts
135 reviews
2. Re: Which guidebook is best for Peru?

We have had guests with several (Lonely Planet, Fromers, Footprints) and all have seemed to be good, my one recommendation is to not use it like a "must see or do" guide, even when the books have just been updated, we have had guests wast time looking for something (normally a restaurant) that is no longer there, guide books can just as easily cost you time, as save you time.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
95 reviews
3. Re: Which guidebook is best for Peru?

Thank you both so much for your advice! I ended up buying quite a few books online at Booktopia - Lonely Planet guides and a Patagonia guide.

For those that might see this post in the next 3 days, I just saw an email come through that says that Lonely Planet has got a sale on for only $9.99 AUD for any guide! I prefer holding a book, but some people may find this useful (it is an amazing deal!).

Thanks again for your advice!!

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,294 posts
1 review
4. Re: Which guidebook is best for Peru?

Welcome,

What i do is to head down to my fav bookstore and grab whats there. Then head to the onsite cafe , buy a cup of mocha nd crosdiont and then thumb through each one. I usually end up with one or two of the bunch.

It will vary with the subject and how current or old the book is.

What i have found is that not one bbrand is best for all.

Edited: 1:41 pm, October 27, 2017
San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
8,091 posts
129 reviews
5. Re: Which guidebook is best for Peru?

I am not a fan of LP: too many instances of their guidebooks being written by people with little or no experience of the country. However, they are widely available.

Footprint took over the long standing and highly regarded South America Handbook title. Its latest South America guide is as comprehensive as the individual country guides (I recently used both when I went to Bolivia and they were the same). All the guides these days have versions in e-book or pdf versions.

Reply to: Which guidebook is best for Peru?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted