We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prepaid SIM card at the airport

Bangkok
Level Contributor
333 posts
218 reviews
Save Topic
Prepaid SIM card at the airport

After having read about avoiding buying SIM card at Lima airport I could not resist walking over to the counter by luggage belt 1 to enquire.

A bit shocked - $54 for 2GB prepaid SIM plus $10 activation fee! I just told the lady "adios" and walk off.

BEWARE!

42 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,860 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prepaid SIM card at the airport

Thanks Pooky for the great update! No recent info on the sim card situation in the airport. Guess I won't even bother to go ask. BTW which company was it?

Bangkok
Level Contributor
333 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prepaid SIM card at the airport

I can't remember the name but it's a booth right in between luggage belt 1 and 2. Don't go near it!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,860 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prepaid SIM card at the airport

Don't go near it???? If I have time, I will go there to ask for my satisfaction! :-))

Bangkok
Level Contributor
333 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prepaid SIM card at the airport

Further update - today I went to a little shop in Urubamba and got a Movistar SIM for 8 Soles ($2.5). Added 1gb data plus more talk time on to it for 60 Soles ($20). The shop girl activated it for me using my driver's id and fingerprint to registered the prepaid SIM.

Life is good outside the airport in Peru!

kingston
Level Contributor
369 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prepaid SIM card at the airport

Thanks for that info as we were also going to purchase sim card at airport.. I too will definitely go for satisfaction as bigwawao said. Ollantay it is for sim card. Thanks again for your tips

Bangkok
Level Contributor
333 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prepaid SIM card at the airport

As a stop gap measure once you've landed there's a free 30 minutes airport wifi. Not too fast but enough to send out emails to my family to let them know that I have arrived safely etc. Just search the wifi and you will find it, something like "free airport ......" and the only thing they ask is your email and name - which of course you don't have to give out the real info as there is no verification :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,860 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prepaid SIM card at the airport

kanilo, when are you leaving? Please post your experience for Ollanta re the sim. I will be in Ollanta on May 14.

Pooky, keep those sim tips coming!. Ollanta is a smaller town but I hope I find something similar to what you di in Urumbaba!

Bangkok
Level Contributor
333 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prepaid SIM card at the airport

bigwawao - I will be going to Olla... today for touring and will keep an eye out and report back.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,860 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prepaid SIM card at the airport

Thanks!

Bangkok
Level Contributor
333 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prepaid SIM card at the airport

OK I first asked my driver if there are shops in Ollantaytambo that sells SIM cards and he said yes. We then drove through the little town on the way to the Ollantaytambo archaeological park and did see a few shops with signs of the service providers displayed. However they were closed since today is Sunday.

Since you will have to drive through Urubamba I would make a stop there to get it, just to be sure!

Reply to: Prepaid SIM card at the airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted