We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Itinirary for Wildlife

Mechanicsville, MD
Level Contributor
194 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Best Itinirary for Wildlife

Hi TA experts,

My husband and I (both 55 and both fairly physically active) are planning a trip in April 2017. I've read so many cruise boat reviews and itineraries my head is spinning. Our priority is seeing wildlife vs landscape, and would like at least a high-end boat or luxury boat with 16 to 49 passengers. I've sent requests for quotes to galapagosislands.com and happygringo.com, both responded quickly to my initial request and I've sent a second request with our priority on wildlife. Would love to have thoughts from the TA community on the best wildlife itinerary on a high-end or luxury boat, if that's a reasonable question. Thanks! Sue

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Itinirary for Wildlife

It sounds like you're considering an 8-day itinerary. If so, there is no "best" itinerary but some are less desirable, in my opinion. I suggest that you look for an itinerary that goes to at least 2 of the 4 most distant islands (Genovesa, Espanola, Isabela, Fernandina). A small number of itineraries get to 3 of those 4, and they are the strongest 8-day itineraries. I usually try to minimize the number of days spent in the towns, since the wildlife is more spectacular on the uninhabited islands. I also try to minimize the number of landings that you can also get to on a day trip (Bartolome, N. Seymour, Santa Fe, S. Plaza) unless there's something there that you specifically want to see. Finally, I try to avoid an 8-day itinerary that is made up of 2 shorter cruises. I like the continuity of a naturalist cruise that doesn't pause mid-week to drop off and pick up passengers.

Tina

Trip reports (and much more) at https://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Colden, New York
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Itinirary for Wildlife

Or if you have the time and $$$ you can take a longer cruise that would take in all 4 of those most distant islands and see the best that the Galapagos has to offer.

This website lists most of the Galapagos boats. They are listed by category like luxury, first class, etc. You can make your selection for viewing, click on each boat, then click on the itinerary to find one that best suits your interests. Then you can see if it's available for your dates. Do this ASAP. I found the boat with the itinerary I wanted only to find out that it is booked for all of 2017 except for 1 week the beginning of January. Since I want to see the waved albatross on Espanola which is only from April-Dec. that date didn't work for me. And it's all booked already for all of 2018 per the agency I contacted to help. www.galapagosislands.com Click on Galapagos Islands cruises from the choices at the top.

Tina (previous poster) has an amazing blog/website for her 2 trips to the Galapagos. She gives a lot of detail with pictures. I would suggest you read the parts of this website that deal with her trips in 2009 and 2013. Maybe this will help you decide which islands you want to visit the most.

Edited: 9:53 am, September 30, 2016
Mechanicsville, MD
Level Contributor
194 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Itinirary for Wildlife

Thanks for the great info. I've reviewed the boats, itineraries, and Tina's spreadsheet, thanks, it was so helpful! As of now, am looking to book the Cormorant (itinerary B) as it hits 3 of the 4 islands suggested:

Isabela, Fernandina, and Genovesa. Wish me luck!

4. Re: Best Itinirary for Wildlife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 05, 2017