We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"January 1st tours are not available because no one works"

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
719 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
"January 1st tours are not available because no one works"

"January 1st tours are not available because no one works".

That is a direct quote from an email I just recieved from Casa Iguana. Really? I have never in my life been to a tourist desination where nobody works everyday during the peak holiday season! Is this really true?

I was also informed that the morning tourist boat to Isabela will not be running on December 31, so I'll be on the local boat and arriving very late int he day -- too late to do a tour.

That means I only have 1 day (Jan 2) to do any tours.

Really pretty annoyed to find this out now that it's too late to change any of my dates. I guess I should be thankful I'm staying 3 nights instead of 2, or I'd be S out of luck.

So....

Can anyone tell me what I can do WITHOUT a tourguide?

We'll just be getting off a liveaboard, so although we love snorkelling, it won't be a big deal after diving with hammerheads at Wolf & Darwin ; )

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
719 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "January 1st tours are not available because no one works"

ooops, I meant to say Iguana Crossing!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "January 1st tours are not available because no one works"

As a land based tourist on Isabela, the options are quite limited anyway. The beach is long and sandy and well worth a walk. There is a boardwalk by your hotel that leads through wetland area to the tortoise breeding centre. The sandy road parallel to the beach will eventually take you past a viewport (climb to get to it) and then on to the wall of tears (turn right from your hotel). There are lots of short tracks leading off the main route. If you are into hiking, you can walk but otherwise get a taxi at least one way (if they are running) or rent a bicycle. Take plenty of water as there are no facilities. If you want a return taxi, you must ask them to wait as you will not find any there.

The white tipped sharks need a small boat crossing so dependant on them running. The only thing you need a guide for is the volcano hike. Anything further afield is off limits unless you are on a cruise.

Day tours to other islands only run from Santa Cruz.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "January 1st tours are not available because no one works"

I remember seeing people literally sleeping in the gutters on 1st January...

Villamil on Isabela is a great place to spend an unstructured day - as noted by DP above. I used to spend long weekends in Villamil as a mini-holiday when I lived in Galapagos. You'll have no problems finding ways to enjoy yourself. I remember just going on an extended snorkel off the main pier - wonderful!

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Edited: 12:40 am, October 16, 2013
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
719 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "January 1st tours are not available because no one works"

Thanks to both of you -- I feel better! Sound like Santa Cruz is the last place I'd want to be on that day. I haven't been, but I get the idea there are a lack of many gutters to lie on Isabela ; )

Any reason the morning ferry isn't running on December 31? Now I'm a little worried about getting there, and wondering if I should cough up the money for a o/w flight.

5. Re: "January 1st tours are not available because no one works"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 18, 2014