We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 or 2 days to see the Islands?

Denver, Colorado
2 posts
Save Topic
1 or 2 days to see the Islands?

Hi everyone,

I am lucky enough to be in Ecuador for work in November. Is it possible to do a 1 or 2 day trip from Guayaquil? I realize I won't get the full experience but I would hate to be so close and not visit.

If it is possible, do you have any suggestions on which islands or tour companies to maximize the experience?

Thanks! I greatly appreciate it!!!

Mentioned in this post
Guayaquil
Guayaquil
Guayas Province, Ecuador
Enchanted Expeditions
City Tours, Multi-day Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Galapagos a la Carte
Multi-day Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Galapagos Dreams Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Galapagos For You
Horseback Riding Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Kansas
Level Contributor
648 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 or 2 days to see the Islands?

Short answer - no.

I guess you could fly to San Cristobal, look around, and fly back to Guayaquil for $800 or so. As a minimum there are 4 day, 3 night trips.

Mentioned in this post
Guayaquil
Guayaquil
Guayas Province, Ecuador
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 or 2 days to see the Islands?

Dear Mountain Girl,

It's not worth the hassle and money to go to Galapagos for 1-2 days. Between the time it takes to get to the airport, wait around fly out, get out of the plane and transfer to somewhere pertinent, it takes just about a full day or 3/4 day to be kind. Just the trip and park entrance fee will cost you about $600. With that amount out of Guayaquil you could like go on an amazing 4-5 day excursion.

You shouldn't consider going to Galapagos unless you could spend at least 4 nights I think, and better still, 7 nights and join a decent cruise.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Mentioned in this post
Guayaquil
Guayaquil
Guayas Province, Ecuador
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,737 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 or 2 days to see the Islands?

If you want a taste of the Islands, it is possible to visit some islands off the coast on day trips..isla de la plata...near Manta.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 or 2 days to see the Islands?

I would love to tell you that it would be worth it - but I have to agree with the others.

2 days is really not worth it (even 4 days would be pushing it). It would be like buying an ice cream taking a lick and throwing the rest away. Sure it would taste good, but you would still walk away with a craving for the rest.

Denver, Colorado
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 or 2 days to see the Islands?

Thanks everyone! I wish it were different but appreciate the honest feedback.

Vancouver, Canada
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 or 2 days to see the Islands?

Im heart broken, I just read this!!! I may still consider going even if its only 2 nights just to say that ive seen it. I may never get a chance again for a very long time. I could see myself having kids in a few years, and well who knows, life is short!!

Chicago
Level Contributor
258 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 or 2 days to see the Islands?

I would go and spend the two days doing what you want and enjoy the islands. I have been to places all over the world that people said that it would not be worth it because I did not not have enough time and I still went and ever time I had a great experience. Go!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
359 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 or 2 days to see the Islands?

Just do it!

C.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,737 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 or 2 days to see the Islands?

Tony, I am to be a grandmother and going for the first time. Travel doesn't stop when a family arrives. People take their families there too. Yes, life might be short, but to go just to tick it off a list is doing it no justice.

Yes, some places you arrive through struggle, and can still hit the ground running with the chance to experience part of kit, but GI is not sbout the towns you land in. You still need to get to the uninhabited islands to see 'Galapagos'. I think in this case, you would be disappointed.

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 or 2 days to see the Islands?

Tony, if you can handle the cost for such a short stay, you could do the following:

Day 1: Fly out to Baltra, visit the Santa Cruz highlands (tortoises in the wild and los Gemelos -- two gigantic sink holes) and Darwin Research Station.

Day 2: Day trip to one of the nearby islands

Day 3: Return to mainland Ecuador

Or a similar itinerary on San Cristóbal.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
Galapagos Islands, Ecuador