We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rating luxury small boat trips

New Yorker
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Rating luxury small boat trips

In what order would you rate the mv integrity, mv cormorant, queen of the galapagos, and mv ocean spray. Vivian

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rating luxury small boat trips

Hi, Vivian--

What criteria are most important to you? Itinerary? Food? Size of cabins? Amount and comfort of common areas? Price? Crew : passenger ratio? Lots of variables to consider in ranking various boats, so a sense of what matters most to you might help those who know these boats (which I don't).

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Alberta
Level Contributor
361 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rating luxury small boat trips

Other than perhaps a travel agent ..I am sure there are not too many people that have experience with all 4 boats. We were on the cormorant and it was excellent!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rating luxury small boat trips

I would perhaps rate Ocean spray and Integrity slightly higher although I would be very happy to go on any of them.

Personally I like the look of the Integrity for its uninterrupted week itinerary. The others split the cruises into 4 and 5 day sections so you pick up and drop off passengers in the middle of the week too.

I am going by the specifications only as I haven't been on any of these boats. It is unlikely you would find someone that can compare them by experience.

If you have fixed dates in mind, you should also compare the itineraries for the dates you will go. The boats do alternating weeks so your first choice boat may not also be your first choice itinerary for a given week.

Dave Peters

DP Software

New Yorker
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rating luxury small boat trips

Itinerary, size of cabins and food are most important to me. I think the Integrity is one of the few that doesn't do all buffets. My dates are flexible. Thanks for the info on picking up and dropping off passengers. That would seem to be a nuisance. My only other concern is the heat versus calm seas. From my reading I think May would be good. Still hot, but less hot than January - April, and seas still calm. One of our traveling partners is prone to sea sickness. I'm worried about the smaller boats. What do you reccommend?

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rating luxury small boat trips

We were in the archipelago mid-May and found, as you've read, the waters to be calm and the temps warm and humid but not wickedly hot. Catamarans will be more steady than mono-hulled boats when the waves hit abeam (from the side). When we visited in Sept. (the month of liveliest waters), we had rough seas only on the open-water crossings (e.g., to Genovesa)--where the waves did indeed hit abeam. So a cat would likely have been a bit more stable in that situation. Of your list, the Ocean Spray, Queen, and Cormorant are cats.

Tina

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rating luxury small boat trips

I recommend you see your doctor and ask for the trans-dermal patches against sea-sickness. Often the guides appreciate any you have left over at the end. You can just stick one behind your ear and forget about it for a couple of days.

The Integrity has stabilisers which should be an advantage over the converted sailing boats. The cats are often considered more stable but I am not so sure thats correct - it depends a lot on direction and type of waves.

Most cruises only have one or two longer crossings in open water where there might be some discomfort. Most of the anchored time is sheltered. You are also going to have 2 shore visits a day so its not like a long cruise where you have several days at sea with no escape.

Food is going to be high quality in any boat of that class. Just don't expect a huge choice like a regular cruise as you only have a few passengers. You should let them know in advance of anything you don't like - they will usually make something special when the regular menu clashes with a passengers dislikes. They need to know before so they can arrange supplies - except for the odd trade with another boat, they can't go shopping on route.

Dave Peters

DP Software

New Yorker
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rating luxury small boat trips

Thank you for your info. We will go the month of May.

New Yorker
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rating luxury small boat trips

Thanks. I've heard that about cats as well. My friend heard there are terrible side effects from the patch. We'll see.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rating luxury small boat trips

Individual reactions will vary. But on our 2 trips, probably 2/3 of the 16-passenger groups used some kind of motion sickness remedy. The scopolamine patch was by far the most commonly used and no one reported any side effects. It wouldn't hurt to bring them along to try them out, along with some other options just in case. My husband used them on both trips and was very happy with them. However, he kept washing or scratching the patch off--so one never lasted the entire 3 days it was supposed to. We ended up putting a small Bandaid on top of the patch and that did that trick. So if your friend decides to check this option out, ask the physician to prescribe a few more than he/she might regularly.

Tina

New Yorker
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rating luxury small boat trips

Thanks. I might use the patch too, just in case. Perhaps we''ll try it ahead of time to see if we get some of the side effects others have reported when they stop using the patch.