We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat Tour and season recommendation for Galapagos, please

Los Angeles...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Boat Tour and season recommendation for Galapagos, please

I'm looking to doing an eco tour in the Galapagos in January - we'll be two single women.

So far I like the 12 day National Geographic offering, mostly because it's a trusted name.

I want to experience the islands and be part of talks led by scientists studying the area.

I also want to have fun on the ship - i.e. meet people, talk and share about what we are experiencing.

And, of course, I want us to be safe and treated with respect.

Do you have suggestions/recommendations about the best options in terms of tour ships

AND the best time of year to be in the Galapagos?

Thank you so much!

Joanna

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Boat Tour and season recommendation for Galapagos, please

We just got back from an 8 day tour with Ecoventura on the Flamingo 1. I posted on the trip in this forum a few pages back. We had an exceptional time. Genovesa was one of our favourite islands and the NG ships are too big to go there (they can't safely get into Darwin Bay). Whatever you choose, I'm sure that you will have a wonderful time.

Scott

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Boat Tour and season recommendation for Galapagos, please

Just some minor musings about Nat Geo boats and Genovesa. (Note that this info was gleaned while exploring a different set of questions--I have no direct experience with these boats.) Size might explain why the Nat Geo Endeavour (96 passengers, 295 feet) doesn't go to Genovesa, except that an equally large boat (e.g., the Explorer; 100 passengers, 293 feet) does stop in Darwin Bay at Genovesa. (Of course, boat length isn't the only aspect, but it's a key characteristic.) It just seems that Nat Geo chooses not to stop at Genovesa, since its much smaller Islander (48 passengers 164 feet long) doesn't go to Genovesa either. Both boats seem to run just one 7-night itinerary (rather than 2 alternating 7-night itineraries, which most boats have), which goes to 3 of the 4 most remote islands: Fernandina, Isabela, and Española. (at least that I could find posted) That's not a bad combo, even though I too am a big Genovesa fan. But on a 7-night cruise, you can't get to every great spot; this itinerary is a good one if you're traveling during the months that the Waved Albatross are on Española.

Since Park regs say that no boat can visit an uninhabited site more frequently than every 14 days, I guess they only run each boat every other week. (pure conjecture, here)

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

13. Re: Boat Tour and season recommendation for Galapagos, please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 17, 2014