We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celebrity Xpedition or Coral I,II?

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Celebrity Xpedition or Coral I,II?

Trying to decide on a tour that will take us to see Flightless Cormorant on Fernandina and Waved Albatross on Espanola. Two appear to fit our dates, the Celebrity Xpedition and the Coral I and II. Prices vary, though a junior suite in the Coral is similar to an ocean view in the Xpedition on cost. We're a couple in our 30s, active, very experienced in adventure travel, particularly around wildlife, so which would be most appropriate? While Xpedition might be more luxurious, would we be stuck in big slow-moving groups of people? The standard room in Coral was more in line with our budget. Is it really worth digging deep for an extra 2K for the suite or the ocean view room in Xpedition? How does the service and the ride vary?

Hertzlia
Level Contributor
236 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Celebrity Xpedition or Coral I,II?

I can only speak about Xpedition, on which I was one year ago, "ocean-view" cabin. I paid 4.500$ (cabin 305 - which was 9K for 2 people) for the 10 day trip, which included also 3 nights at the Marriott, and the flight to and from Baltra. The ship is so small, that you don't need to be in the room at all, just to sleep. It is much more fun to be outside, the passangers varied from 18 years to 80 years, a panga can take a max. of 16 people, so you'll not be stuck with a big bunch... After a day or two, we formed groups, and we just waited for the right panga to join people we were comfortable with. Everything was very well organized and worked like a Swiss watch. Personally, I wouldn't like to travel on a 16-20 person yacht, for sure not on my honeymoon....

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Celebrity Xpedition or Coral I,II?

Dear Alex,

The expedition is a large ship with 100 passenger, and you raise the right point re: feeling sometimes like you're being herded around. E.g. getting off the boat requires logistical expertise, you are called ahead of time on the loudspeakers etc... while on smaller ships like the Corals, this is all done pretty much face to face. You don't have to worry about keeping the pace of the land visits too much, as you don't have the other 4 groups of passengers coming up from behind. I think you get the idea. Of course it's nice to have a great private deck and ocean view- but don't forget, it's pitch black by 6:45PM, and doesn't get light until just before 6AM, and you'll often be wanting to just "chew the cud" so to speak with your fellow passengers, who are likely to be part of the entertainment on board.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,037 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Celebrity Xpedition or Coral I,II?

We're just back from the most fantastic week on The Xpedition in the Galapagos.

Getting off each morning and afternoon was organised very well with little wait. Each trip is divided into two (or three) different timings with max 16 on each panga. The groups were taken different routes on most of the islands so it wasn't a case of each running into the other.

We didn't do the Celebrity package as we had our own two week trip around South America organised and just had the transfer to and from Baltra being met by the friendly and efficient Cruise Director.

Must add that everything is included on the Xpedition, all fees, gratuities, meals, snacks and drinks although many of us did tip the wonderful staff extra at the end of the cruise.

Mazza :-)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,042 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Celebrity Xpedition or Coral I,II?

For the reasons you stated, I would use the Coral and specifically the Coral II (though there aren't as many photos for that ship). Also, Galapagos isn't the place to need the suite upgrades, as you will have little time in your rooms. I think you will find the comaradere on a smaller ship might suit your well. The down side, though it seems rare, is that with only a few on a ship, it might be harder to avoid someone you can't get on with. Also consider that smaller ships can negotiate into places the Xpedition can't get into, so also consider the benefits of the other stops on the itinerary.

5. Re: Celebrity Xpedition or Coral I,II?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 14, 2014