We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have you recently visited Galapagos Islands?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Have you recently visited Galapagos Islands?

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are planning to visit Galapagos Islands and have the opportunity to go in either Jan or March 2014. Has anyone been there recently? If so, would you mind sending your itinerary and how much was spent on various expenses. I'm hoping this would give me a idea on how to get there and back from Quito and how much of a budget we should have.

Many thanks, Lisa.

Mentioned in this post
Quito
Quito
Pichincha Province, Ecuador
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,794 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have you recently visited Galapagos Islands?

That is a bit of a tall order Lisa. Many have been and posted trip reports. There are tips listed on the right of this screen to help you get started.

Also, you haven't stated whether you are wanting a ship or land based visit. Most visit by ship and there are several websites with comprehensive lists of ships and prices. They also will book your flights from Quito or Quayquil for you.

Better to start reading the tips on the right, and get a book from the library to start wading through your options so you decide whether land or ship is right for you, and then we can start helping with details.

Regardless of how you go, Galapagos Islands are expensive. Return flights from the mainland are $400 with fees of $110 for accessing the Islands.

If considering a ship visit, know that the guide can make or break the trip, and typically, the quality of guide improves with the level of the ship - which also means increase in budget. Not to dissuade you, just the reality.

Land options will be cheaper than ship, but as everything needs to be transported in then costs are still higher than mainland Ecuador which is quite economical.

Mentioned in this post
Quito
Quito
Pichincha Province, Ecuador
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have you recently visited Galapagos Islands?

Thanks Quiltingmamma. One of the reasons I hadn't mentioned land or ship based is because I'm not sure. What we would like to do is see as much of what nature has to offer, the Darwin research center and possibly do 2-4 scuba dives. I know that cruises we looked at don't include scuba diving as part of their package.... so that makes us think land maybe the way to go.

Would 100 USD per day per person be a reasonable budget for accommodation, food and travel between islands?

Thanks, Lisa.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,794 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have you recently visited Galapagos Islands?

No, I don't think that is a feasible budget, not if you want to include diving, or interisland travel on an island trip, and certainly not on a cruise. If you had a bigger budget and took a cruise, you could add several independent days in town to dive. It may be possible to manage on that budget, but you will have to search out the cheaper lodgings. Some are B&B and charge per person, which will be a hit to your budget. I would read the items and reports of land tours on the bullets to the right and maybe send them a PM about their budget.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,423 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have you recently visited Galapagos Islands?

Dear Trave,

$100 per day per person on the continent can do wonders, but in Galapagos, unless you just want to stay in town and explore from there on foot or taxi, it's too low. A cruise will start at about $300 per person per night on a ship (but includes everything). You can find lower prices on last minute offers - so if you're flexible, you can see what's available that way. Day trips are about $100 - $150 per person I believe (e.g. leave early AM, cruise to a destination, spend time there, cruise back, arriving late afernoon, early evening). Diving is not done from cruise ships unless is a full 100% dive cruise. 2 tank dive trips (see scuba iguana for example) are about $100 - $125 per person I believe. Galapagos is not a cheap place - even a "normal" hotel (e.g. basic, but clean, with AC and bathroom) will be hard to find for less than $50, unless you are OK with the real basic. You can eat at local style restaurants for $5 probably (e.g. rice, beans, a small piece of chicken, a fruit drink). Don't forget the apx. $600 price of getting from the continent to Galapagos (e.g. air fare, park fee, other small items). So, if you're really considering Galapagos, make sure you have the budget. No use going all the way there to be locked in town, unable to see what the are so famous for!

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have you recently visited Galapagos Islands?

Thank you Heather and Quiltingmamma for your words of wisdom. We're going to rethink our budget and do a bit more homework.

Appreciate all your assistance.

Regards, Lisa.

6. Re: Have you recently visited Galapagos Islands?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 15, 2014