We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruising for 14-15 days

Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cruising for 14-15 days

We are trying to decide whether a longer trip, which means we will see more islands, would be preferable to a 7-8 day cruise. As it feels like a once in a lifetime chance we thought a longer time would be better. Would love to know others' experience or thoughts on this please.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruising for 14-15 days

Hi, Judy--

Welcome to TA! I did a lot of looking at itineraries of the better tourist-superior and first-class boats a year ago as we were planning our return trip. In my opinion, the answer about whether the extra days of the longer cruise are truly worthwhile lies in the boat's 14-night itinerary. On any 7-night itinerary, you'll miss at least one of the "stellar" and most unusual islands--Española, Genovesa, the western shore of Isabela, and Fernandina. But you don't necessarily need to take a full 14-night cruise to get to those 4. I found a few boats that offered 9- or 10-night itineraries that got to those 4. The rest of the full 14-night itinerary spent the last few days on the central islands, which--after the splendors of the magnificent 4--are fine but nowhere near the spectacular experiences of those outermost islands.

So if I had the time and money, I'd probably opt for a good 9- or 10-night itinerary that visits those 4 islands (plus tons of other ones, of course). And, to be perfectly honest, I found my "wow--how amazing is that?!?" meter a bit on overload even at the end of a 7-night cruise. For instance, our last morning's outing was to the Magnificent Frigatebird and Blue-footed Boobie breeding colonies on N. Seymour. Those were nice, but the birds were nesting MUCH further away from the path there than they had on Genovesa or Española. (We were basically eye-to-eye with the critters on those 2 islands.) Since we had already seen the glories of the latter 2 islands, I could have skipped N. Seymour without missing anything.

Having said that, 14 nights on a terrific boat with a great crew and engaging travel companions in the Pacific Ocean is never really a bad time. But only you can if the extras of a particular 14-night experience are worth the time and money.

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruising for 14-15 days

Tina - thanks so much. You have touched on all the issues that I was grappling with and what you say makes so much sense. I read your blog several days ago so am thrilled that you responded as I appreciate your depth of research and knowledge (we are booking at the last minute so I haven't researched as closely as I might). We will take all this on board and revisit some itineraries. We have marked out the islands we want to visit and they line up with what you have written. Thanks again.

3. Re: Cruising for 14-15 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 06, 2014