We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galapagos with kids aged 8 and 11 - which boat cruise?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Galapagos with kids aged 8 and 11 - which boat cruise?

We are considering a trip in December 2013 - our kids will be 8 and 11. They love animals and are great swimmers and hikers. I read about National Geographic expeditions that sound amazing ($$) but some travellers have been bothered by kids (I would hate for mine to be a cause for concern - although they list a family trip). We have been recommended the adventure center (a UK based group who offer family adventures specifically) and goway (they seem to have less detail on their site) and backroads (trip too short in my opinion). I don't know what the boat names are except for National Geographic (Endeavour or Islander - more posts I saw about Endeavour). Any comments or guidance? I like the idea of 8 days on a cruise.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galapagos with kids aged 8 and 11 - which boat cruise?

You might check out the Ecoventura boats--the Eric, Letty, and Flamingo (aka ELF). These 20-passenger boats often sail as a group (although landings are handled separately, so that you don't feel like a small town is accompanying you on each landing). In doing that, they can sort travelers into similar age groups--older adults, families, younger adults, for example. ELF get high ratings on this forum, especially around how the naturalist guides work with the kids.

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,386 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galapagos with kids aged 8 and 11 - which boat cruise?

Dear LTT,

My husband and I took our boys (7 and 10 at the time), the the Letty (mentioned above) and had a fantastic time! You can perhaps find my extensive review on this forum (ca. April 2010). And we are going back in 3 weeks! This time, on the Angelito. It's great that your kids are excellent swimmers - the underwater experience will be half the fun. We bought our boys shorty wetsuits before going (though the water was very warm, particularly if you're used to swimming in those Canadian lakes - [we spend a few weeks every summer north of Ottawa...]).

The NG is a big ship - and offers big ship amenities of course, which could be important. I tend to favour smaller ships, which provide you with a more intimate experience. This is not a "party" cruise, but a naturalist cruise, and I think you have to take that into consideration wheny choosing a ship.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Ottawa
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galapagos with kids aged 8 and 11 - which boat cruise?

Great - thank you! I have not heard of this company before. I will get reading!! Have either of you done any extension trips to the Amazon? I haven't looked at reviews yet but we were thinking of 4 days. I saw the Sacha Lodge looks family friendly and has a really cool adventure - plane, boats - to get there!

Is the Angelito another company?

Thanks

4. Re: Galapagos with kids aged 8 and 11 - which boat cruise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 08, 2014