We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Man II vs. Seaman Journey

Munich
Level Contributor
31 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Sea Man II vs. Seaman Journey

Galapagos naming conventions really irritate me... it starts with multiple names for one island and I wonder if that phenomenon also affects boat names.

Does anybody know if the Sea Man II is identical with the Seaman Journey or are we talking about different boats?

Your help will be much appreciated.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea Man II vs. Seaman Journey

I can't speak to your main question. But in defense of the dual-named islands--one set is from the English explorers/merchants and one set is based in Spanish. In my looking at a ton of itineraries last year, it seemed that most of the boats used the Spanish names. In my opinion (and really, it's JUST one person's opinion), I think all boats should use the Spanish names, since the archipelago is part of Ecuador. Our naturalist guide, who was born on San Cristóbal, felt very strongly about that and he trained us well, I guess.

His passion for the Spanish-centered names reminded me of my work with various American Indian tribes, where the tribes prefer to be referred to by their name for themselves in their own language--rather than the often-derogatory names applied to them by other tribes or cultures. Since all are sovereign nations--Ecuador and tribes--I'd say they have a right to use whatever names they chose. (Of course, the US government doesn't always agree with me...)

Well, THAT was an odd tangent for this forum. Back tor travel!

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea Man II vs. Seaman Journey

Dear Badali,

I know what you mean! Sometimes a ship's owner or operator changes, and they change the name, but the old name lives on in various third party websites. I will do some research on this one and get back to you.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea Man II vs. Seaman Journey

Dear Badali,

I have heard back from the owners - indeed, it's the same ship! Not the best marketing strategy....

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Munich
Level Contributor
31 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea Man II vs. Seaman Journey

Dear Heather,

You're a star! Thank you so much.

We are considering the Sea Man II for a 5 day trip early June (Espanola, Floreana & San Cristobal) and it is quite high on my list. If only it wasn't so touch to pick islands....

To make it even more difficult to come up with a decision, I was quoted a 8 day trip ((Santa Cruz, Isabela, Fernandina, Rábida, North Seymour) on the Aida Maria for a very good price today. I realize that it's a lower category boat, but am wondering if, time permitting, it wouldn't be the better deal..

Booking a cruise is more time consuming and difficult than I thought...

Have you got, by any chance, any advise on the different categories of the boats? What about the quality of the guides? Could I expect more knowledge and better language skills from a higher class or is this just wishful thinking?

Greetings from Munich, Claudia

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea Man II vs. Seaman Journey

Dear Claudia - for boat classes, see:

www.galapagoscruiselinks.com/definitions.php

The Aida Maria has a decent reputation - it's not luxury, but is well operated (family owned and operated). It's a good "back packer special". I think it's worth considering over 5 days on the Journey....

Warmest regards,

Heather

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea Man II vs. Seaman Journey

Seaman Journey is the same as Seaman II. We took a trip on this catamaran in February 2013. In fact, I believe our boarding vouchers said "Seaman Journey II". However, the majority of literature, signs, towels etc. on board read "Seaman II". There also used to be a Seaman I, but we were told by the crew that this boat is no longer is service.

Our trip was 8-days (7 nights). We wished it was longer !

If you're considering the Seaman II (aka Seaman Journey), shop around with various travel agencies to get the best price.

Edited: 3:54 pm, March 21, 2013
Little Dunmow, UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea Man II vs. Seaman Journey

8 days on boat was very much packed with activities, everyday we snorkeled and visit different islands, we were so lucky to see so many different endemic animals species to Galapagos and also have fun with hammerhead & Galapagos sharks, turtles and endless sea lions...video to come:-))

The award for the funniest bird must goes to wavy albatross as these guys are born comedians! the dance, the walk and the songs...even in scorching heat we sat there for long time and smile over their performance...the playful award without doubt goes to sea lions...in and out water and the award for the one who can stay still for ages..must be marine iguanas...they just spit some sea salt for time to time..

So Galapagos won our hearts and I hope you can one day also see why? and we met a great bunch of people...including my new adopted brother Erik!

If you thinking to go let me know as Geoffrey will guide you on the land and under water!

https:/…5965470295808304705

United States
Level Contributor
832 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea Man II vs. Seaman Journey

ivik, great pictures, thanks for sharing them. How was the snorkeling?

Norwich, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Sea Man II vs. Seaman Journey

jut wondered if anyone could comment on the actual boat, am planning a trip & tour op uses the Seaman Journey....?

10. Re: Sea Man II vs. Seaman Journey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 11, 2015