We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30yr old solo traveler

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
30yr old solo traveler

Hello fellow travellers,

I have only a few weeks off a year and really want to travel, but no one to travel with. Being alone, I need a place where there is lots to do (and things that can be done solo), but with the possibility of meeting other travelers for company. I had my heart set on Machu Picchu but I am looking at going the last 2-2.5 weeks of May and it is already booked out.

So now I'm wondering if Equador would be a good idea with a trip to the Galapagos Islands. Would people recommend this as a trip for a solo female traveler? Too expensive? Older crowd? Or is there another South American country that might be more fun? To get an idea of what I'm thinking.... I'm not looking at Europe because pick say France - beautiful country, great restaurants etc but I think I'd be lonely dinning alone. With a trip to somewhere like Machu Picchu or the Galapagos Islands I feel I would get to be part of a group for at least part of the trip.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance!

Toronto
Level Contributor
455 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 30yr old solo traveler

Is it the Inca trail that is sold out in Peru? You can always do other hikes or take the train to Machu Picchu (I did the train). Galapagos is pretty much built for groups as you can't really explore on your own. I know Contiki runs tours in Galapagos if you are wanting a younger crowd!

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Brisbane
Level Contributor
351 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 30yr old solo traveler

You will meet up with many other travellers so dont be put off by that.

May is a little offpeak however still peeps around in Ecuador and Galapagos to hook up with. I will be there myself at that time.

Have a great trip:]

Mentioned in this post
Ecuador
Ecuador
South America
tennessee
Level Contributor
90 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 30yr old solo traveler

What tour group were you going to use for Manchu Picchu? I am 50 years old and planning a trip in March to visit my daughter who is studying in Ecuador but want to do some sightseeing while she is in school. She is in Quito which I was going to use as my home base. Any suggestions of how best to see Manchu Picchu and Galapagos would be greatly appreciated. I am very active. I ride road bikes, mountain bikes, run, hike lift weight and do boot camp 3 times week . I know I have to take into consideration the altitude but feel I can do an active trip. Thank you so much.

Mentioned in this post
Ecuador
Ecuador
South America
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,840 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 30yr old solo traveler

It's easy enough to visit MP on your own from Cusco, but if you think you are going to hike the actual Inca Trail, it is more than likely sold out at this late date. I have used CNH Travel for Galapagos, and PeruTrek4Good for a two-week Peru trip.

Mentioned in this post
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Peru
Peru
South America
5. Re: 30yr old solo traveler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 06, 2014