We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget cruises

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Budget cruises

Hello,

My husband and I are interested in visiting the Galapagos Islands at the end of this year (late Nov or early Dec). We are both 27 yo and on a tight budget. I am also prone to motion sickness so would prefer a larger boat. Any recommendations for good cruises that would be suitable for us?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget cruises

Dear Cim -

the 1st 10 days of December are usually the lowest period in the islands for cruises. You might want to look for some price reductions. Late November, which coincides with the US Thanksgiving holiday, witness a peak in visitor numbers, with no price reductions.

At this point, you have plenty of time, to inform yourself on options and price ranges. Remember though, it's difficult to visit Galapagos on a tight budget - it will cost you nearly $600 each just for the flight from Quito and the park entrance fee. Sometimes, it's worth waiting a few more years before considering such a trip, giving yourselves time to climb up salary scales back home etc..

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
21 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget cruises

I wish you wouldn't discourage people who are on a budget from coming, Heather. Although you say to wait a few years, not everyone is interested in doing this and still wants to have the special opportunity to visit the Galapagos.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget cruises

Dear Ann,

I understand. It's my experience that choosing a bad budget cruise increases the odds of dashed expectations - and I would find that a pity for a Galapagos cruise, because even a budget cruise will be expensive. There is "budget", there there is "BUDGET", with guides who grope women and whose english is barely understandable, fume filled cabins, air conditioning/plumbing breaking down, getting montezuma's revenge.... all these things have greater odds of happening on the most budget of budget cruises.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
190 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget cruises

i think it is more a matter of TIME rather than spending more. if you have time enough to fly over, and find a last minute deal (being prepared to spend an extra week on the islands which gives you plenty of time for other interesting activities) then i really see no reason why one should spend 3 - 4000 dollars per person on an expensive cruise.

5. Re: Budget cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 28, 2014