We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heat and humidity in february...

Toronto
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Heat and humidity in february...

Amazing wildlife experiences aside. Exactly how hot and humid is it in the Galapagos in early February when you're on a boat cruising around?

Its a dumb question maybe, but people who have been during early February, what was your experience?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heat and humidity in february...

Dear Idoru,

I lived there for 4 years. Feb-Apr/May are the hottest months. It's not much fun being under the noon day sun - unless you know you'll have a chance to jump into the sea soon afterwards. If you're on a moving ship, it's just fine. That's why it's best to ensure you do your site visits as early as possible in the day (animals don't do much under a powerful sun either) and later in the afternoon. A good cruise / guide will keep this in mind.

Humidity was never a big problem - it was felt mostly after a rainshower on a very hot day, but otherwise it wasn't as bad as in the jungle (e.g. maybe 70%, which isn't too bad).

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Toronto
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heat and humidity in february...

Thank you for the reply. :)

As someone who is really not fond of heat & humidity, this is probably not the right season for me to visit this area then. Perhaps I will try during a different season. It looks amazing and interesting, and very worth the time to plan a trip.

Take Care!

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heat and humidity in february...

Ooohhh--let me recommend Sept.! We traveled in Sept., 2009, which was a pretty typical Sept. Many people bad-mouth Sept. - Nov. because of the higher probability of having rough seas then. Lively waters primarily affect the open-water crossings to the outermost islands (e.g., Genovesa, Isabela). We had 2 long open-water crossings; one was smooth as silk; one, quite lively. But we traveled at night so everyone just headed to their cabins, secured any objects that might roll around, and went to bed. We all showed up the next morning, bright-eyed and ready for the next adventure. C'est ça.

Note that rough waters can and do occur any time of the year. The latter months of the year suffer from increased likelihood. But rough seas are by no means guaranteed during these periods. And travel around the more central islands is pretty much unaffected by the shifting currents that can rile up the ocean.

That being said, Sept. had many wonderful features. It is the month of the lowest number of visitors. We often shared the overnight anchorages with just 1 or 2 other boats and we rarely saw another group of travelers on our landings. The air temps were delightfully moderate--mid 70s during the day--and the humidities were wonderfully tolerable (maybe around 30%?). We're from the cool, dry mountains of Colorado, so we were especially happy with the not-so-tropical days. However, the waters are at their coolest, so consider a wet suit if you're concerned about snorkeling in cooler waters.

Furthering my self-appointed mission as the good-will ambassador for visiting this marvelous archipelago in the month of Sept.!

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Toronto
Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heat and humidity in february...

Thanks for the note, re: September.

Further reading up on animal activity it says Albatrosses only nest from March - January. I would like a chance to see them, so February is not the time. Also I am with you on the cooler days, it is just more comfortable. Plus I have no issues with motion sickness, so I'm not overly concerned about waves.

cheers.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heat and humidity in february...

You're right--the odds of seeing Waved Albatross begin to diminish in mid-Dec. and by Feb., they'll all be off the coast of Peru, soaring non-stop. Some literature says that the males begin to return to Española in mid-March, but I've read reports here from travelers who didn't see any even in late March.

At the risk of beating a dead, um, month--the Waved Albatross nestlings will be getting really big and goofy-looking as the season progresses. In Sept., they were pretty much as big as the adults but had stunningly different and interesting juvenal plumage. They were a wonder to behold. In addition, the adults were still doing courtship rituals at that time, since they have to maintain their pair bonds through a lot of absences.

Sept. rocks! ;-) Sometimes in more ways than one; but if motion sickness isn't a problem, give it some serious consideration.

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

6. Re: Heat and humidity in february...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Galapagos Islands