We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days trip suggestions

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
3 Days trip suggestions

Hi,

I'll be in galapagos for 3 days from Feb 3th(12:45pm) until Feb 5th (12:45pm) what can I do in those 3 days, My b day is on Feb 4th :D

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days trip suggestions

Wow--that's a really short trip. (Really, you're only talking about 48 hours.) Are you flying into Baltra? If so, you might (emphasis, MIGHT) be able to find one day trip to a different island for Feb. 4 if you try to find one as soon as you get to Puerto Ayora on Feb. 3. (I'd vote for Bartolomé, if that one is available.) Day trips leave early in the morning, don't go to each island every day, and may be sold out. So you'll have to hope for some really good luck if you want to go to a different island.

On Santa Cruz, you can explore the Charles Darwin Research Station and the town of Puerto Ayora on your own. Visiting the highlands of Santa Cruz will let you see the Giant Tortoises living free--a really great experience. The beach at Tortuga Bay makes a nice walk, some folks report--bring lots of water and sunscreen.

If you're flying into San Cristóbal, you won't be able to visit any other islands. (Day trips to other islands leave only from Santa Cruz.) I don't know much about San Cristóbal, so I leave those suggestions to others.

It sounds like your plans are already set. But nevertheless, I'll say it--the archipelago is a REALLY long way to travel (and will cost up to $600/person for airfare and park fees) just to set foot on the airport tarmac. Given transportation to and from the airport, you really are looking at one full day there. I personally don't think that kind of visit is worth the effort. You'll miss most of what makes the archipelago so amazing.

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Mentioned in this post
Baltra
Baltra
Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,386 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days trip suggestions

Dear Diplan,

it's not worth it! You'll spend more than 50% of your time in transit, and likely more than 50% of your budget on logistics. Why not stick around in Quito instead, and get a bigger bang for your buck, and for your time, and come to Galapagos another day to do it justice? It's like flying from New York to Paris, for an overnighter. Not worth the effort!

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
850 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Days trip suggestions

As you have such a short time, from Baltra airport, I would take the free bus to the Itabaca Channel and then the foot ferry to Santa Cruz. Then get a taxi to take you to the twin craters (Los Gemelos in Spanish). Here you can walk around yourself for a few minutes to see the giant craters on either side of the road. Ask the taxi to wait for you. Next get the taxi to take you to the tortoises in the wild (Tortuga in Spanish). Both these places are on the way to Puerto Ayora so you avoid the long trip back to see them and keep your only full day for something else.

If you can find a day trip for your full day then that would be a good option but you must book the day before so you will be tight on time. Bartolome is good as is N Seymour. You probably have to take what is available.

If you are stuck without a day tour then you can do the long walk to Tortuga bay beach (no facilities so take at least water) and/or the Charles Darwin research center (a bit like a zoo for galapagos animals) and easy walk from town or $1 taxi. There are also boat trips around the bay.

If you don't speak spanish it may be a good idea to have the Spanish names written down for the taxi driver.

Dave Peters

DP Software

Mentioned in this post
Baltra
Baltra
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
Bartolome
Bartolome
4. Re: 3 Days trip suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, January 06, 2014