We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Class or Luxury Catamaran ???

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
First Class or Luxury Catamaran ???

Some of the luxury boats have balconies, but what are the normal differences between first class and luxury boats. Is there really a significant difference? What makes the boat a luxury one? There is a huge difference in prices. I know that there are always exceptions. Is the difference in the quality of the services, the guides, the food or the accomodations and the boat itself? When during a typical day do you get to use the balcony and is it worth the higher cost. I am comparing 8 day/ 7 nights on the Anahi (first class) and the Ocean Spray (luxury). The Anahi who's itinerary I like the best has undergone a recent management change which concerns me. Some tour companies won't even quote them now. Has anyone been on the Anahi recently and what was your experience. We are looking for some advice and education from experienced Galapagos travellers.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,447 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Class or Luxury Catamaran ???

Go with the itinerary you like best; that's the real idea behind a Galapagos cruise. I've only been on first class boats and believe me, any amenities beyond what they offer will be wasted as you tumble into your bunk at 9 p.m. and conk out 'til 6 a.m.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Class or Luxury Catamaran ???

Hello Arky,

I understand your confusion with regard to the Anahi. You are correct, they have recently changed management. This is because the owner of the ship has taken on the management of the ship for herself. Unigalapagos owns and operates the Anahi. Up until late 2012, the yacht was being marketed by Latin Trails, but from January 2013, the owner will be selling the ship directly. While there are a number of Ecuadorian operators who have booked several dates on this ship in 2013, you are welcome to reserve your cruise with the ship owner directly. You can have full confidence in reserving your cruise on the Anahi.

With regard as to whether you should consider the Ocean Spray or Anahi, that is another questions altogether. Both are wonderful ships that garner a very high satisfaction level from the majority of their guests. Knowing this, I would suggest, as Azbuceadora suggests, that you let the ship's itineraries guide you in your decision-making.

Good luck!

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Class or Luxury Catamaran ???

+Hello Heather,

Thank you for your response and your contributions to Galapagos postings.Your comments are reassuring. Normally what features or services determine that a boat is luxury class as opposed to first class? During a typical day when do you get to take advantage of a balcony? There presently a huge difference in price for 2013 prices (about $1400 pp)

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Class or Luxury Catamaran ???

Dear Arky,

You just have to imagine a continuum from basic to luxury, and first class is just before luxury in terms of many criteria (not all equally applied) such as spaciousness, brass fixings, on board amenities (a reading room?), professionalism of the crew, pre-cruise information etc. etc... If money is no object, then why not go for luxury? But if it is, I don't think you should have to worry about being disappointed in your trip on a 1st class ship. In the end, it's not about the boat, but about the islands and the sea. As for a balcony - well, if you want some outside time all to yourself, with no chance of being distracted by others, then a balcony could be appreciated. You would likely use it around lunch times, and at sunset - but then, some folks like to share their day's discoveries with others over a happy hour drink at sunset... So, it's all down to your preferences.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

5. Re: First Class or Luxury Catamaran ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, December 16, 2013