We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San cristobal or Sant Cruz? Which island is the best base?

California, Kentucky
7 posts
Save Topic
San cristobal or Sant Cruz? Which island is the best base?

I'm wondering which would be the best base to do day trips from? Any pros and cons for each island, does one have more options then the other?

Any info would be great, i would like to give to my family the best trip ever.

Thankyou so much! :)

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San cristobal or Sant Cruz? Which island is the best base?

Hi, Joy--

If you're interested in day trips to other islands from your "home" base, you need to be on Santa Cruz. The day trips from San Cristóbal are limited to areas on or around that island. From Santa Cruz, you get day trips to Bartolomé, N. Seymour, Santa Fé, S. Plaza, or Floreana. (All of those day trips go to the same places that naturalist cruises go, except for the Floreana trip. Instead of going to Post Office Bay and snorkeling at the amazing Devil's Crown, the Floreana day trip goes to the inhabited highlands and a different snorkeling spot.) Keep in mind that you can only do one day trip a day, due to travel time to and from the islands.

So Santa Cruz is where you want to be to sample different islands!

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San cristobal or Sant Cruz? Which island is the best base?

Dear Joy,

I lived in Puerto Ayora (Sta Cruz) for 4 years - it is certainly more of a "happening town" if you're interested in any post-naturalist détente - R&R in terms of a better choice of restaurants, place for a happy hour etc... San Cristobal is a quieter, much smaller place. But the airport in San Cristobal is just 3 minutes out of town, as opposed to the 1.5 hour journey in the case of Pto Ayora.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
50 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San cristobal or Sant Cruz? Which island is the best base?

I spend 2 weeks on Galapagos in February 2012 and I was on both Santa Cruz and San Cristobal. As much as I agree with Tina and Heather, I would recommend that you spend sime time on both islands. The good thing about Santa Cruz is Tortuga Bay and Las Grietas (on the island) and a possibility of seeing other islands - I specially recommend Isabela, although Floreana is also interesting. San Cristopbal on the other hand has great spots too - specially Leon Dormido (great snorkell) and some nice treks. I liked more Puerto Baquerizo Moreno than Puerto Ayora, but as a sea lions huge fan, it's quite understandable ;D

So I think it would be great if you could do what we did - arrive to Puerto Ayora (we flew from Guayaquil) and depart from Baquerizo (we flew to Quito) - the price of the tickets was the same as if you did return from Guayaquil do Ayora. Have fun!

4. Re: San cristobal or Sant Cruz? Which island is the best base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 03, 2013