We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jacket in the evenings?

East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
197 posts
379 reviews
Save Topic
Jacket in the evenings?

We are visiting the Galapagos at the end of May. Our tour organiser has suggested that we take a windproof jacket for the evenings. This has surprised us - will it be that cool at night in late May? I was expecting hot weather!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
829 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jacket in the evenings?

Given you'll be out on the water, it's quite possible it could cool down at night. We're going at the end of April and plan to bring lightweight jackets. I know even in the Caribbean in the summer we've needed jackets at night on a cruise.

Quito, Ecuador
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jacket in the evenings?

Hi, yes you will need it, make sure to have with you a light jacket.

You will need it if you want to be on the main deck, looking the stars during the night sailings. And is a good idea to bring a fleece jacket if you are going to land in Quito.

Regards

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jacket in the evenings?

Dear Gracie,

it should be HOT in the day, under the brilliant equatorial sunshine. Evenings will be very comfortable - maybe no jacket needed, but maybe yes. Take a light one. You'll need it for the evening on the continent (Quito) definitely.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
197 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jacket in the evenings?

Thank you for the speedy replies!

We're not going to Quito (health problems mean that I can't do altitude vacations just yet) but are starting from Guayaquil, which as you know is at sea level. Does this make a difference to the sort of jacket? I was planning on taking this and wearing with scarves and long sleeve T-shirts at night

rohan.co.uk/Product/… but am wondering if I've made a mistake and should now buy a hooded waterproof?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jacket in the evenings?

Dear Gracie,

Guayaquil is a muggy coastal city - you won't be needing much in terms of jacket there. A light cotton shell should be fine for all your needs.

Warmest (indeed!) regards,

Heather

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
829 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jacket in the evenings?

Just returned from our trip and I can confirm that a lightweight jacket or light sweater definitely came in handy during the evenings for us. It did get a little chilly at night while navigating and the wind blowing.

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jacket in the evenings?

Just returned, too: wore a lightweight fleece several times because of the breeze (well, WIND) on the boat, and carried the light-weight hooded raincoat, which we needed a couple of times because of sudden rain showers.

8. Re: Jacket in the evenings?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Galapagos Islands