We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering 15 day Cruise but Suffer Motion Sickness

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Considering 15 day Cruise but Suffer Motion Sickness

My husband and I are considering a 15-day cruise to the Galapagos on either the Cormorant or the Ocean Spray in spring 2012. My only concern between the 15-dayers (which cover so much!) and doing an 8 day cruise + land-based (land-based would be Isabela) is that I am prone to motion sickness. Is anyone familiar with how stable these two boats are? They are luxury catamarans. The Ocean Spray has the most options available at the moment. Cormorant only has one 15 day option that one would end in May (or at least that is the information I have received from the company I contacted).

We went to Peru in 2010 and I took Gravol for the flight over the Nazca lines and also the boat trips on Lake Titicaca. I survived and did not puke all over the pilot over the Nazca Lines. I know from previous experience that I will turn green and/or throw up (latter on hovercraft over English Channel) if I don't use a product.

So am I freaking out too much about this? I would love the 15-day cruise if I could reasonably expect that I might grow some sea legs.

Thanks for any help,

Cindy

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,023 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering 15 day Cruise but Suffer Motion Sickness

If the meds you took helped you survive flying over the Nazca lines, you should be fine on the cruise. There are many good meds out there. A longer cruise like you're considering will actually be better as your inner ears have more time to acclimate to the motion. I can never get over the people who think two hour speedboat trips between islands won't make them sick, if they're prone to it anyway.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Considering 15 day Cruise but Suffer Motion Sickness

Thanks, azbuceadora, I didn't think of it in terms of allowing my inner ears more time to acclimate.

It's the 2-hour choppy lake/sea adventures I can't endure and/or WILL make me sick. I just went so many years between these adventures that I didn't put two and two together for a good twenty years. 1 trip on choppy lake as teenager = turned green and got nauseous. Hovercraft on horrrible, stormy day - barfed when we landed (no meds). I was 21. Then, around 38, fishing boat in Queen Charlotte Islands - turned green and had to get retrieved by the crew and sleep it off on the yacht. The wrist bands helped the following day. That was when I thought of all the other episodes and realized I get seasick. Before I had kids I thought everyone couldn't read in the car without getting sick. Turns out I'm the only one in the family who does.

Cindy

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,162 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Considering 15 day Cruise but Suffer Motion Sickness

When we were on at 62 ft. boat in Alaska, two of our fellow travelers wore a gizmo similar to this, never had a problem during the week we were on the boat (it was a kayaking trip and we did some open water paddling, no problems there either)...

aeromedix.com/aeromedix_articles/…index.html

Might want to check these things out, could be worth the money for you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Considering 15 day Cruise but Suffer Motion Sickness

Thanks, I will.

C

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Considering 15 day Cruise but Suffer Motion Sickness

Another option to consider, if you haven't already and if it's available in Canada, is the scopolamine patch. In our group of 16, it was the most widely used motion sickness remedy. Even though he has been a sailor all his life, my husband found himself affected by the sea (mostly because he was inside much more than he is when he's doing the sailing himself). We had brought along the patches primarily for me, since I had never been on anything longer than a day sail and I had no idea if I would have a problem. Turned out that I had no problem, but he did. He used the patches (one small patch behind his ear, a new one applied every few days) and had absolutely no problems at all. In the US, they are prescription only and kind of expensive (at least on our insurance plan). But complete relief with no side effects whatsoever to ruin the trip of a lifetime--priceless!

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Edited: 1:53 pm, November 23, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Considering 15 day Cruise but Suffer Motion Sickness

Thanks for that tip. I had read about the patches somewhere and will definitely ask my doctor about them.

Cindy

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Considering 15 day Cruise but Suffer Motion Sickness

One caveat I should have added about the patches--they can slip off. Our physician gave us enough for 9 days (maybe 3 patches? I forget precisely). However, my husband washed his off 2 different times. We had brought extras, so he just applied a new one each time. No one else on the boat had a similar problem, so it may just be that he's a very vigorous shower-er. But you might want to bring a few extras if you decide to try them, just in case.

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Considering 15 day Cruise but Suffer Motion Sickness

Got it. Thanks again.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
651 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Considering 15 day Cruise but Suffer Motion Sickness

HI.

A 15 day cruise would be so special...you are lucky if you can pull it off! There are definitely many OTC tricks that can help, as well as the other suggestions made above. You could also try getting some ginger tea or dried ginger that could help.

I personally find the overnight cruises more tolerable than the smaller speedboats. The overnight travel I can deal with better: I fall asleep! The inter-island speedboats are smaller, less stable, travel faster and hit waves stronger! Not a good combo in my opinion!

Good luck with it all!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Considering 15 day Cruise but Suffer Motion Sickness

Thanks, I really appreciate the input. I'll look into the ginger tea. So many helpful suggestions!

Cindy