We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Real Eco Tourism in the Galapagos-are there any companies?

Somerset, CA
5 posts
Save Topic
Real Eco Tourism in the Galapagos-are there any companies?

I am looking for an environmentally aware company to take a tour with to the Galapagos. I cannot find any sites that offer independent analysis of the current operators. Has anyone either already done this trip or found a site that rates companies?

sheila

London
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Real Eco Tourism in the Galapagos-are there any companies?

Hi

I am reasearching a visit there in April and have exactly the same question - have you had any response since posting your email? I would be interested to know

Melissa

United States
Level Contributor
1 post
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Real Eco Tourism in the Galapagos-are there any companies?

rainforest alliance has the "smart voyager" certification, but it is apparently an expensive process to get certfied so only the larger boats can afford to do so.

quito, ecuador
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Real Eco Tourism in the Galapagos-are there any companies?

sorry but as far as I know, there really aren't eco-tours to the Galapagos. Of course, traveling on a smaller boat is better environmentally, but even the ''sailboat cruises'' use their motors the whole time! there are a lot of other tours and lodges in Ecuador that are very eco-aware, check out livetravelguides.com/south-america/… for more info.

Happy travels!

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Real Eco Tourism in the Galapagos-are there any companies?

I leave in 2 weeks for a 10 day galapagos adventure with a company called GAP adventures ( the great adventure people). they claim to be enviromentally aware and do use local guides and operators. you pay less for the tour and then pay a local fee. check out the website it gives all the info, and I will get back on line on returning home. happy hunting

Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Real Eco Tourism in the Galapagos-are there any companies?

Hi,

As above, I too have the same question - I want to take an eco-friendly tour with someone who knows their wildlife.

Have you had any helpful responses?

UK
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Real Eco Tourism in the Galapagos-are there any companies?

I went to the Galapagos islands 10 years ago and all I can say is that ANY visitors to the islands have it drilled into them that you do not disturb the wildlife in any way, neither doing anything which might affect the ecology, such as any sort of polution, litter etc, nor do you take anything away except photographs. They are very strict about this.

I went with Exodus, a London based company, and spent 2 full weeks on a small boat, 8 berth, and it was more like camping at sea. No frills but the food was wonderful. The guide, Louis, was so knowledgable that he was like a walking encyclopedia. I thoroughly recommend Exodus.

I went at the end of the dry season, over Christmas, which turned out to be the mating season for practically every form of life on the islands. The Waved albatros breeds at this time and it is the only season when you can be sure of seeing these magnificent birds.

If you can afford to be there for 2 weeks you will see more of the islands than on a short trip. The sailing times to some of the the furthest islands can be 12 hours, always done overnight, so you can imagine that in 4 or 5 days you won't see half as much.

Make sure that you are well supplied with essentials such as a high factor suncream, camera film or cards for digitals, batteries, sun hat etc as there are very few, if any, places to stock up. We couldn't get suncream for love nor money.

Go to Post Office Bay with you postcards. There is a little unmanned stall where you leave your cards. The idea is that you sort through the cards already there and take any that you can deliver personally (or pop them in the post back home). Your cards will be sorted through by the next boat that comes along and the same process happens again. It might take months for your cards to be delivered, but that is part of the joy.

Whatever you do, live the experience and remember it for ever.

London UK
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Real Eco Tourism in the Galapagos-are there any companies?

We are leaving on Sunday. There is a website www.responsibletourism.com that has different ecuador trips. If you say you want a call about a trip they email you back telling you the name of the supplier so you can check out their website. I spoke to GAP based in Toronto and they sounded good. We are using www.tribes.co.uk.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Real Eco Tourism in the Galapagos-are there any companies?

I'm especially interested in the GAP Adventures tour to the Galapagos. Can anyone who has taken that tour tell me the quality of the Quito hotels and the accommocation and meals on the yacht?

Thanks,

Ron

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Real Eco Tourism in the Galapagos-are there any companies?

I went on the 10 galapagos tour with gap adventures April 13-22 and it was wonderful. The guide Rissel was great. The wildlife was amazing. We also hit the mating season. We saw the Albatross, Blue footed boobies and the Frigate birds in all their carnal glory. The mating dances of each bird was incredible to watch and hear. We went scuba diving and snorkeling and with each trip saw turtles, sharks, sea lions, every fish imaginable, 1 hammerhaed shark and even swam with a huge pod of dolphin. I would discourage the short trip because you miss so much. The food was great and they try to accomodate every palate. The weather was great. I could have gone another 10 days. The sea lions will play with you when you are snorkeling and are so cute. The only down side is the wait on transfer day. They take the four day trip on with the 8 day so you spend a day transitioning people. It is as active as you want it to be. the day starts early with first hike at 6:00am then back for breakfast a rest, then a snorkel/dive then lunch, after seista another hike/ snorkel/or dive and then dinner. The boat is quite primitive but the crew is great. I would say check out 5-6 different companies and go with the best price that has air conditioning and sound practice.

Have fun....:)

Surrey
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Real Eco Tourism in the Galapagos-are there any companies?

I am off to the Galapgos in July and I am going with Exodus. They tend to do quite small groups which are a mix of couples and single people and I have been on several holidays with them. The tour guides are local and are very knowledgeable. I would definitely recommmend them.

Mandy