We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lindblad Expedition / National Geographic Cruise

Tappan, New York
3 posts
Save Topic
Lindblad Expedition / National Geographic Cruise

Has anyone been on a Lindblad cruise in the Galapagos. They seems to be much more expensive than other companies. We are bringing our grandchildren so are there activities for them?

Also, is there good scuba driving there?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,704 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lindblad Expedition / National Geographic Cruise

In the Search box above, type the name of the company and get ready to read a lot of information about it. I prefer to sort the results by date to get the latest information.

The scuba diving in Galapagos is amazing.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
651 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lindblad Expedition / National Geographic Cruise

Hi Savannah,

Lindblad and Nat Geo are famous for their first-rate travel and service here in Galapagos. Their boats are some of the largest ships in the archipelago. They offer family packages, but your grandkids will pretty much be able to keep busy on a general itinerary on any size ship: 2 land visits a day, a snorkel, dinghy rides, etc.

There is excellent diving in Galapagos, but you would have to arrange diving specifically with your booking agent if you do it from your cruise (and you would miss the land visit scheduled for that day if the diving could be arranged). You might want to look at doing some "land based" diving from one of the inhabited islands if you wish to get in some great diving and not miss out on anything else.

Have a great time.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,641 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lindblad Expedition / National Geographic Cruise

Check out the Eric/Letty/Flamingo family of boats, they offer family oriented cruises.

Level Contributor
9 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lindblad Expedition / National Geographic Cruise

Just went last month on the Endeavour. Loved everything about it! It was a photography expedition & I came home with 4000 photos. I wrote an extensive review last week, but for some reason it still show pending for posting. I highly recommend them though. I plan to return in a few years once my kids are older and will use Nat Geo.

Level Contributor
89 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lindblad Expedition / National Geographic Cruise

My family (DH, DD12, DD10 & myself) went on the Endeavour last March and it was fantastic! The boat, crew & naturalists were well above expectations. It was great to see that they catered to their guests- in other words, we had over 20 kids & teenagers and neither the adults nor the kids ever felt slighted.

You could tell that the naturalists really enjoyed what they did and had an extensive knowlegde of the islands, animals and even folklore, most of them had advanced degrees. We had a naturalist, Aura, whose family was one of the oldest families in the islands.

We took over 3,000 photos. But we didn't go scuba diving but snorkeling almost every day much to our delight!

Lindblad/NatGeo is so highly regarded that the sailing after ours they hosted a group with the top oceanographers and ocean conservators, it was cool to see some of them at the airport as we were leaving and they were arriving.

New York City, New...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lindblad Expedition / National Geographic Cruise

I am trying to decide whether to take the Nat Geo photog cruise to the galapagos or go on a more luxurious ship--the explorer II. any advice? the accommodations on the endeavor don't look so terrific...

7. Re: Lindblad Expedition / National Geographic Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:08 pm, August 20, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lindblad Expedition / National Geographic Cruise

Dear Donna,

the Nat Geo ships (Lindblad ships, actually) are no less "luxurious" than Explorer. Lindblad has 2 ships, one about 90-100 passengers, the other about half that size. Explorer as 100 passengers - the maximum allowed in Galapagos.

I tend to favour the Lindblad ships over the Explorer - but this is personal. I had the chance to have dinner with Sven Lindblad when I was working in Galapagos - and was very impressed with his dedication to conservation of Galapagos. His ships help raise over $500,000 a year for that. Sven was in Galapagos just a few weeks ago, met with the director of the Charles Darwin Research Station, and I know for a fact that he's committeed to helping the station this year (the station is having a bit of financial difficulties - who isn't??).

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Phoenix, Arizona
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lindblad Expedition / National Geographic Cruise

anyone taken this ship on the Antarctica Cruise?

Level Contributor
1,862 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lindblad Expedition / National Geographic Cruise

Seems like you might have better luck and more responses if you post this on the Antarctic forum rather than the Galápagos forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12337-Antarcti… You can do a search there and find some threads that mention these folks.

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question